According to the latest data from the comScore Video Metrix service, 182 million Americans watched nearly 41 billion online content videos in May 2013. That's up from 181.9 million Americans, who watched 38.8 billion online content videos in April 2013.
But the rising tide is lifting AOL's boat more than others.
Top 10 Video Content Properties by Unique Viewers
In May, Google sites, driven primarily by video viewing at YouTube, ranked as the top online video content property with 154.5 million unique viewers, followed by Facebook with 60.4 million, AOL with 53.8 million, VEVO with 52 million and NDN with 46.5 million.
Nearly 41 billion video content views occurred during the month, with Google sites generating the highest number at nearly 14 billion, followed by AOL with 839 million.
In April 2013, Google sites, driven primarily by video viewing at YouTube, ranked as the top online video content property with 154.6 million unique viewers, followed by Facebook with 62.7 million, VEVO with 52.9 million, NDN with 45.3 million, and Yahoo sites with 45.1 million. AOL was in 9th place with 36.1 million unique viewers.
So, in the space of a month, AOL has increased its unique viewers by 49 percent and jumped into third place the online video content rankings.
Three years ago, AOL placed a big bet on video. Through the acquisitions of 5min Media and goviral as well as significant investments in video, AOL set out to become "the #1 premium curated video network."
And on April 30, 2013, AOL launched its original programming slate at this year's NewFront. Some of the new slate of original web series went live that day and the remaining series are being rolled out over the next several months on the AOL On Network, AOL's premium video platform, and across AOL's 1,700 partner sites.
This season's slate includes:
- "CITY.BALLET." - Sarah Jessica Parker takes a behind-the-scenes docudrama reveals what it takes to perform on the ultimate stage, the New York City Ballet.
- "#CANDIDLYNICOLE" - Nicole Richie brings her unfiltered sense of humor and unique perspective to life in a new series based on her clever twitter feed.
- "MY INK" - Mike Tollin asks the biggest names in sports to share the personal stories behind their tattoos.
- "ANTHONY EATS AMERICA" – Anthony Anderson connects with home chefs to learn the secrets of their signatures dishes.
- "NOW EAT THIS! ITALY WITH ROCCO DISPIRITO" – Rocco DiSpirito visits Italian mamas in Sorrento, Italy to learn how to make authentic Italian dishes.
- "INSPIRATION POINT WITH JONATHAN ADLER" - Jonathan Adler shares his perspectives on creativity, inspiration, and adding style, craft, and joy to your life.
- "THE SARTORIALIST" – Photographer Scott Schuman searches the city streets for amazing fashion as well as the stories behind the style.
- "FUEGO YOUR LIFE"– Sandra Vergara shares her spicy secrets to style and beauty in this new digital girls' guide.
- "SECOND CHANCES" - Gwyneth Paltrow and Tracy Anderson spend time with women who've overcome hardship, injury, and setbacks to triumph in the face of adversity.
- "HARDWIRED" – Justine Ezarik aka iJustine explores the latest in wearable technology.
- "THE FUTURE STARTS HERE" – Tiffany Shlain explores, with humor and insights, humanity's evolution with technology.
- "FLAT OUT" - High end documentary series follows 17-year-old NASCAR rising star, Dylan Kwasniewski, in his quest to become a top NASCAR driver.
- "FATHERHOOD" - Hank Azaria wrestles with the multitude of challenges that come with being a first-time father.
- "FUNDED" – Discover crowdfunded small business success stories with author, comedian, and entrepreneur Baratunde Thurston.
- "ACTING DISRUPTIVE" – Max Lugavere looks at Hollywood's biggest names away from the cameras as they launch tech and new media start-ups.
In other words, if content is king, then video content is a dynasty.
AOL's 2013 Summer/Fall original programming lineup features a variety of content across categories like entertainment, sports, food, style, health, tech, autos, parenting, and business. And AOL is partnering with well-known celebs and influencers on the rise who already have digital audiences, as well as the passion to grow their online footprint.
Back on April 30, AOL also announced the launch of Be On – a new branded entertainment platform. As the interest for native advertising continues to grow, AOL is helping "brands become publishers."
AOL also partnered with Nielsen on two different initiatives. The first is a pilot program that will measure audiences for TV content viewed online. The second is a collaboration that will measure the audience viewing AOL's library of over 620,000 premium videos against traditional TV. The AOL Video Reach (AVR) will enable advertisers to use comScore to measure AOL against other web properties, and Nielsen to compare AOL against TV.
In addition, AOL announced a partnership with FreeWheel and Mediaocean that makes digital inventory available in a traditional TV buying system. This deal allows broadcast buyers to compare AOL's inventory with TV inventory ... and make an apples-to-apples comparison.
Top 10 Video Ad Properties by Video Ads Viewed
According to the latest data from comScore Video Metrix, Americans viewed 15.8 billion video ads in May 2013, a new record.
In May, BrightRoll Platform ranked #1 with 2.6 billion ad impressions. Google sites came in second with nearly 2.6 billion ads, followed by LiveRail.com with 2.1 billion, Adap.tv with 2.1 billion, Hulu with 1.7 billion, Specific Media with 1.4 billion and TubeMogul Video Ad Platform with 1.2 billion.
Other notable findings from May 2013 include:
- 84.8 percent of the U.S. Internet audience viewed online video.
- The duration of the average online content video was 5.6 minutes, while the average online video ad was 0.4 minutes.
- Video ads accounted for 27.9 percent of all videos viewed and 2.6 percent of all minutes spent viewing video online.
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates extended through Sept 19. Register today!