Google today announced an upgrade to AdWords called Enhanced Campaigns that will allow advertisers to target consumers more efficiently with ads based on context like location, device type, and time of the day, in a single campaign.
Enhanced Campaigns have three main features:
- Campaign and budget management: An advertiser with a local presence could increase bids based on context, such as the location of the user or to adjust for device (e.g., “if this query is from mobile device, increase bid by 10%”). Bid adjustments will be found in the campaigns settings tab.
- Ads Based on Context: Advertisers will be able to differentiate mobile preferred creative where an ad would appear if the query is from a mobile device. This would take into consideration the capabilities of the device – such as whether the device can download apps or make phone calls. Mobile preferred creative will be a type of ad selection in AdWords.
- New conversion types: This will integrate phone calls from click-to-call and app downloads in AdWords reports. It will be easier to see the full value of campaigns across actions and from new platforms. Phone calls and app downloads will be additional columns as a conversion in reporting.
Here's a look at some of the new Enhanced Campaign options that will be available in the settings tab:
Google’s motivation for this upgrade was the growing realization that we live in a constantly connected world.
“As consumers, we reach out to the device closest to us to find the information we need” said Sridhar Ramaswamy, Senior Vice President of Engineering at Google, “Advertisers need to be present and relevant across the growing number and wide range of devices.”
In the constantly connected world, consumers’ cross-platform behavior and search intent has changed over time:
- Consumers use multiple devices to accomplish tasks: 90 percent move sequentially between screens.
- Consumers want results that are more relevant across multiple screens and appropriate to the their location and time of day.
- Actions of the consumers will vary depending on the context, for example a person on the go is likely to respond differently to an ad than someone at a desktop computer.
Signals like location, time of day, and the capabilities of the device people are using have become increasingly important in showing them the right ad. These signals create great opportunities for businesses, but can also make marketing more complex and time-consuming. Since search and context defines user intent in the new world, Enhanced Campaigns address how advertisers can better reach them.
Overall, the enhancement is designed to make AdWords much easier to target users and manage the complex settings in a single campaign.
Enhanced campaigns will roll out to advertisers as an option over the next few weeks, and with upgrades to all campaigns in mid-2013.
This Year's Premier Digital Marketing Event is #CZLSF
ClickZ Live San Francisco (Aug 11-14) will bring together the industry's leading online marketing practitioners to deliver 4 days of educational sessions and training workshops. From Data-Driven Marketing to Social, Mobile, Display, Search and Email, the comprehensive agenda will help you maximize your marketing efforts and ROI. Register today!