Every Mother's Day, the pressure is on for online flower stores to use elements of persuasion throughout their PPC ads and websites to engage and convert visitors. With more than $2.3 billion forecast to be spent on flowers for Mother's Day 2013, the competition is fierce.
So which retailer did the best job this year of writing solid PPC ad copy and customizing their sitelink extensions to present offers that are seasonal and relevant to searchers?
Let's break down three AdWords ads that Google users found when searching for [buy flowers online] – from 1-800-Flowers.com, Teleflora, and Blooms Today – and decide which ad won this year:
A quick and easy way to assess any the quality of any ad is a technique referred to as the Conversion Trinity. Three simple criteria that can make or break any ad:
- The repeated use of the word "flowers" in the ad copy
- Taking seasonality into account by adding /Mothers_Day to the display URL
- Adding two Mother's Day specific links to the four sitelink extensions
- The repeated use of the word "flowers" in the headline
- Adding a Mother's Day sitelink
- The use of the word "flowers" in both the headline and body copy
- Adding a Mother's Day Flowers sitelink
- Offering same day delivery
- Having a daily special or promotion
- Hand delivery offers a special touch
- Flowers are delivered in a vase (versus a box)
- A spelled out offer of $10 off
- Daily deal
- Guaranteed Delivery
- A spelled out offer of 25 percent off
- $19.99 – a specific amount that sets the visitor's expectations
- Great Value
- Guaranteed delivery
- Flowers under $45
- Arrange a Smile
- Send Fresh Flowers
- Order now
Which PPC Ad Won Mother's Day 2013?
A combination of all would make a near perfect ad. I say "near perfect" to stress the idea that no ad is perfect, and that there's always room for optimization and improvement.
1-800-Flowers.com wins in relevance with it's repeated use of the word "flowers" in its headline and body copy. Blooms Today wins big in value with its specific and compelling offers and promotions. None of ads had enticing calls-to-action, but Teleflora had a clear "order now."
That being said, could you write a better ad? Could you take 1-800-Flowers.com's relevance, Blooms Today's value and Teleflora's call-to-action to create an ad? Share your version in the comments below.
Twitter Canada MD Kirstine Stewart to Keynote Toronto
ClickZ Live Toronto (May 14-16) is a new event addressing the rapidly changing landscape that digital marketers face. The agenda focuses on customer engagement and attaining maximum ROI through online marketing efforts across paid, owned & earned media. Register now and save!