Unruly has announced the 2011 top 20 Global Social Video Ads Chart in partnership with Mashable. Topping the chart were Darth Vader, a Hollywood Megamercial, Angry Birds, Kate and Will, and singing hamsters.
Now, if you haven’t heard of Unruly before, it is one of the world’s leading exponents of social video advertising. Headquartered in London, Unruly has delivered, tracked and audited 1.34 billion video views and executed more than 1,400 successful social video campaigns for global brands and agencies, including T-Mobile’s acclaimed Life’s for Sharing series and Evian’s global Roller Babies hit. In addition, Unruly distributes video and rich media formats across platforms including YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, premium publisher sites, influential blogs and mobile applications – reaching an audience of 725 million monthly unique users.
Unruly’s annual ranking of the year’s most socially-shared video ads is based on the number of shares on Twitter, Facebook, and the blogosphere as opposed to the number of views. As such, it is a measure of an ad’s “virality,” as opposed to a measure of eyeballs. Unruly ranks ads by the volume of active pass-on rather than the more passive metric of video consumption, which can be boosted by Promoted Videos and other forms of advertising.
Volkswagen’s record-breaking mini Darth Vader ad, The Force, took top billing in the 2011 chart. The commercial, created by LA agency Deutsch, is the most shared branded video of all time, attracting an incredible 4.71 million social media shares and 46.05 million views since its release on February 2, just days prior to Super Bowl Sunday.
Other brands appearing in the top 20 include T-Mobile, Kia, Nissan, Nestle, Carlsberg and Pepsi. The final list was unveiled at the Social Video Showcase event hosted by Unruly at the IAB UK headquarters last night in London.
Here is the complete list of the year’s most shared video ads:
- Volkswagen: The Force: Volkswagen Commercial - 4,713,179 shares.
- DC Shoes: Ken Block's Gymkhana Four; The Hollywood Megamercial - 2,028,238 shares.
- T-Mobile: Angry Birds Live - 1,783,607 shares.
- T-Mobile: Royal Wedding - 1,733,419 shares.
- Kia: Party Rock Anthem-Kia Soul Hamster Commercial - 1,424,110 shares.
- Ape With Ak-47 - 1,132,201 shares.
- David Cornfield Melanoma Fund: Dear 16 Year Old Me - 1,072,004 shares.
- Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Reveal Trailer - 1,062,829 shares.
- Nissan: Poneis Malditos - 956,661 shares.
- Nestle: Contrex - Ma Contrexperience - 97s - 950,988 shares.
- Official Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - The Vet Vs The Noob - 922,218 shares.
- Carlsberg Stunt with Bikers in Cinema - 899,550 shares.
- Official Ojai Valley Taxidermy TV Commercial - 830,036 shares.
- Red Bull: The Art of FLIGHT - Snowboarding film trailer featuring Travis Rice - 810,453 shares.
- McDonald’s Philippines New Commercial 2011 "BFGF" - 756,141 shares.
- Channel 4: Danny MacAskill - Industrial Revolutions - 696,190 shares.
- Trace Urban: The most amazing beat box video ever! - 687,528 shares.
- Pepsi: Unbelievable David Beckham - 543,812 shares.
- Samsung: Unleash Your Fingers - 542,851 shares.
- Westfield Stratford City: 100 YEARS / STYLE / EAST LONDON - 529,832 shares.
Now, if the list above differs from what you’ll find on today’s Mashable Global Ads Chart that’s because the ranking is based on data collected through November 21, 2011. This means some global ads – like Guys Scream for Justin Bieber in Macy's Black Friday Commercial – were uploaded too late in the year to make the cut.
Nevertheless, the list above shows the extent to which some brands have already recognized video’s potential for brand advocacy and are successfully leveraging the viral potential of the social web.
As Unruly COO Sarah Wood said in a press release, “The fact that the number one ranking video this year earned close to eight times more shares than last year’s winning ad is just further proof of the rise of the epic ad in 2011.” She added, “More brands are realizing the potential of social video to build a high-impact, long-term emotional connection with their audience.”
Twitter Canada MD Kirstine Stewart to Keynote Toronto
ClickZ Live Toronto (May 14-16) is a new event addressing the rapidly changing landscape that digital marketers face. The agenda focuses on customer engagement and attaining maximum ROI through online marketing efforts across paid, owned & earned media. Register now and save!