Google AdWords users will now be able to track the success of their campaigns in driving calls from mobile devices. The new code introduced by Google allows advertisers to get analytic data for calls placed from a mobile page.
How the On-Site Tracking Works
Once the code has been added, AdWords will display analytic data on the success of each keyword, ad group, and campaign as it relates to generating calls.
As stated by John Sutton, VP of Online Marketing at Red Ventures (a company that participated in the beta program for this feature), the ability to track calls both accesses important user behavior data and opens advanced controls (such as cost-per-acquisition bidding strategies or conversion optimization).
Google has already done data tracking on calls, but only within the confines of the "click-to-call" ad extension. This new tracking is distinct, covering actions on the advertiser's web page, and the tracked customer actions don't cost the advertiser anything extra.
Setting Up Call Tracking
Adding call tracking to your site is a two-step process. You simply:
- Get the necessary code:
- In your AdWords account, Navigate to Reporting and Tools > Conversions > +New conversion.
- Add the name of the campaign and select "Call" for the "Conversion location." Then hit "Save and continue."
- Fill out the "Conversion category" and "Conversion value" fields with the best information available, then choose "I make changes to the code."
- A new window will open and provide you with the necessary code snippet. Save this for your records.
- Plug the code in:
- Copy the code generated in the segment above.
- Paste the code into the HTML of the targeted landing page. The script will need to be placed in the page element (link, image, etc.) that results in a call.
- AdWords will automatically recognize the code and start tracking information.
Especially given the rise in mobile technology, and predictions that the majority of U.S. cell phone owners will be wielding a smartphone by the end of 2012, call optimization of this type is likely to become more valuable in the months to come.
This Year's Premier Digital Marketing Event is #CZLSF
ClickZ Live San Francisco (Aug 11-14) will bring together the industry's leading online marketing practitioners to deliver 4 days of educational sessions and training workshops. From Data-Driven Marketing to Social, Mobile, Display, Search and Email, the comprehensive agenda will help you maximize your marketing efforts and ROI. Register today!