The big news today is that THE WORLD WILL END TOMORROW.
If you are wondering how it will end, have no fear, there is an app for that.
But just in case it doesn't, and you still find yourself with a job to do next week, here's a roundup of today's search news and headlines from around the web.
- 3 Ways To Loop In-House SEO Strategies Into the Enterprise Agenda - Search Engine Watch
In-house SEO is as much about diplomacy as it is about strategy.
- Reputation Management: PR vs. Search vs. China’s Water Army - Search Engine Watch
Seriously, it's just amazing how web users mobilize in China. You may have heard of Human Flesh Search Engines, but have you heard of the Water Army?
- May 21 Judgement Day Interest Grows Online - Hitwise
200% growth in visits to world's worst designed website, triggers apocalypse.
- Google abandons master-plan to archive the world's newspapers - The Boston Phoenix
Google gives up on the past, to focus on One Pass, the future of selling newspaper subscriptions
- Eric Schmidt Named Cannes' Media Person of the Year - Adweek
I guess it is fair to say that Mr Schmidt has achieved quite a lot in his tenure at Google. Wouldn't you agree?
- Weekly Yahoo Search Trends - May 20, 2011 - Yodel Anecdotal
An interesting search trend around any extra-marital affair in the public eye is that users tend not to search for the offender, but instead the mistress or the love child.
- Yahoo Search Trends: Oprah's Effect on Web Searches - Yahoo Search Blog
What Oprah endorses, people search for.
- Hacked Canonical Tags: Coming Soon To A Website Near You? - Search Engine Watch
Better safe than sorry.
- SEO Considerations in a Connected Consumer World - TopRank Online Marketing Blog
It's not just about Google anymore. SEW's own Mike Grehan discusses his thesis of "the connected consumer" who uses multiple sources to make decisions.
- Sickening. Macho Man Dies, TMZ Stuffs Keywords to Profit, and a Lesson In Bad SEO - DIYthemes
Sadly, Macho Man Randy Savage dies, so TMZ keyword stuff their URLs with synonyms for dead. Despite the tragedy, funniest comment of the day goes to this post for "2003 called, they want their SEO back."
- 4 Reasons Not to Break Your Campaign's Continuity - ClickZ
Don't mess with your AdWords Quality Score if you can help it.
- How to: Do keyword research that doesn't suck - Conversation Marketing
Remember, search marketing is all about targeting small niches!
- Facebook looks at China, Zuckerberg packs bags - Reuters
Zuckerburg on second visit to China.
- 6 Ways to Use Social Media to Boost Local Search Results - Search Engine Watch
What is the one most important tactic per social platform to impact local search results? Answers here.
- Using Semantic Markup to Strengthen Your Local SEO Efforts - Search Engine People
- Google Maps & Places Tidbits - Understanding Google Maps & Local Search
Anyone seeing this?
- Growing Scrutiny of Mobile Data Collection - ClickZ
FTC believe 'do-not-track' should apply to phones too.
- Google Android Barrels Ahead of Competitors - PCWorld
Android market share surges as Symbian's collapses.
- Google acquires modu's mobile patents - CNET News
Google spyglass on very very very small phones.
- Google Maps on your mobile browser - Google LatLong
Non-app maps for Android and iOS phones.
- AdSense for mobile content in 15 new countries - Inside AdSense Blog
Buzzwords here are: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Nigeria, Philippines, Slovenia, Thailand, and Turkey.
- Out of this world - Your interview with Space Shuttle Endeavour - YouTube Blog
HAL: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
Dave: Somersaulting in space!
- This week's Trends: trophies, games, and a cappella - YouTube Blog
What a catch!
- Doodle 4 Google 2011 Winner Dreams of Being an Astronaut - Search Engine Watch
One small step for Google, one giant leap for a 7 year old.
Argentina Court: Google Must Censor Anti-Semitic Search Results, Suggestions - Search Engine Watch
Let's be honest, it's just not as funny as 'my favorite color is ham".
Google Doodles for Emile Berliner & Annie M.G. Schmidt Birthdays - Search Engine Watch
German, Austria, Switzerland and the Netherlands get their own Google Doodles.
- Changes and improvements to AIM interoperability - Gmail Blog
You probably saw a message about this pop up in your Gmail account today.
- Google-backed $5 billion power line clears hurdle - CNET News
Google buy a very very very big pipe.
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates available through Sept 12. Register today!