We've collected all the search marketing news from selected posts to the Search Engine Watch blog in the past week, along with recent search-related headlines from around the Web.
From the SEW blog:
- Google Webmaster Tools Update
The Google Webmaster tools announced new changes to Webmaster Tools. The biggest change was the addition of subscriber stats from various Google services.
- SEW Experts: Google Dance in Aeon Flux
Mark Jackson explores the "Google Dance." Some SEO experts say the Google don't dance. Others claim the Google Dance never ends. What does it mean for SEM, ranking reports, and site analytics?
- We Like ‘Em Both
Both SEO and SEM are equally effective online tactics, according to nearly 2,500 marketers surveyed by Marketing Sherpa.
- Google To Stop Preannouncing Quality Score Algorithm Changes
The insights into the changes being made to Google's Quality Score algorithm will no longer be pre-announced - if they are detailed at all.
- Google Makes Brand Advertiser Push
Google has launched a new Gadget Ads format for AdWords advertisers, and picked up an agency vet to boost its offering to brand advertisers.
- Archives Mean Ad Dollars
Publishers have always guarded their archives, as one of the last bastions of online, fee-based revenues. But with a search-optimized site, revenue from ads can outweigh subscription fees.
- SEW Experts: Search Marketers Stock in Trade? Not Trading Stocks.
Matt Spiegel discusses why portfolio management no longer strikes fear into the hearts of search marketers. Find out why changing bids doesn't make the marketer.
Linking Issues & Social Media
- SEW Experts: Link Building for Local Search
Justilien Gaspard imagines a search engine-free world. Would you still build "links" to increase local traffic? He shares some radical link building strategies for local search.
- Women Execs Have Better Online Presence
An online career survey indicates female executives at the VP and C-levels have a considerably better career presence online than male executives at the same level.
Analytics & ROI
- Google: Search Key to Auto-Buying Cycle
The buying cycle for autos has condensed from up to six months to one month, with 65 percent of buyers making a decision in one month or less.
- SEW Experts: Split Traffic, Raise Conversion Rates, Repeat, Multiply
Eric Enge reminds marketers that site optimization doesn't begin or end with landing page testing. A/B splits don't give marketers splitting headaches anymore. What's the next step? Multiply your variables.
Local & Mobile Search
- SEW Experts: Think Local, Act Social
Michael Boland asks what bars, lawyers, restaurants and dog washers have in common? Answer: They all meet at the intersection of local and social search.
- Google AdSense for Mobile
The program is targeted at people who have created websites targeted at mobile browsers, allowing them to make money on contextual advertising using the same model used by Google on the traditional web.
- Idearc Buys Switchboard, Other Assets from InfoSpace
Local search and directory publisher Idearc has acquired Switchboard.com and other directory assets from InfoSpace for $2 million in cash.
Vertical & Specialty Search
- Getting Vertical Key to Google's Ad Success
Google hosted an Industry Press Day at its New York offices, inviting mainstream and trade press to learn more about its efforts in five verticals.
Small Business/Big Brand SEM
- Google Offers Print Ad Creation Tool
Google Print Ads just became more accessible to small advertisers with the addition of a Print Ad creation tool.
- SEW Experts: Think Small, Win Big: Social Media Marketing
Carrie Hill asks if social media has arrived, or if it's still middle school for Web sites. See how your small business can make sense of it.
In-House & Outsourcing
- Is Your Search Integrated Like Chunky Monkey?
Integration in search is like integration of Ben & Jerry's ice cream flavors. If you're in the market for a search vendor, you might have something to learn from the boys in Vermont.
SEM Industry Issues
- Viacom Would Rather Not Sue, Chief Counsel Claims
The chief counsel for Viacom said he hopes that a firm set of usage rules are developed and adhered to.
- Microsoft Having Bad Week, Court Rules Against, Google and Lotus Giving Away Tools
They must be feeling a little punchy at Microsoft this week.
- The Key to Getting Answers: Be Prepared
The obvious way to learn at SES is to attend the sessions. But you can learn a whole lot more by going in with a plan and thinking like a Boy Scout: Be Prepared.
- DCLK: Google's Double Data Dealing Digital Destiny?
As the FTC moves closer to a decision on the deal, the executive director of the Center for Digital Democracy hosted a press conference showcasing privacy advocates.
- Cybersquatting defined for search marketers
Intellectual property and ecommerce attorney David Adler discussed the legal definition of cybersquatting, and the legal remedies for search marketers.
- SMA-NA Dissolved
Ian McAnerin, president of the Search Marketing Association of North America (SMA-NA), announced on Saturday that he will be dissolving the organization due to lack of resources.
- Google Launching New Custom Business Search Engine
The new business edition of custom search comes with a sliding scale price tag.
- SEW Experts: Skyrockets In Flight, Google to the Moon?
Kevin Ryan wonders if Google has officially jumped the shark with its outer space projects. Hey Sergey, are you goofing on Elvis? Has Google left the building?
- Yahoo Showcases Tools for Teachers
Yahoo today gave a sneak peek of Yahoo Teachers, a new research-focused service aimed at making life easier for teachers.
- Set the Context in your Custom Search Engine
Now the keywords that you program in the Basics tab of the control panel have a stronger effect on results.
More from the SEW Blog
- Marketing to the U.S. Hispanic Market
Microsoft and MRM Worldwide are participating in an Advertising Week 2007 panel focused on the topic.
- Zillow Lands ex-Googler and Zestimated $30M Follows
Probably sheer coincidence: Zillow has raised another round -- $30 million -- on the heels of ex-Googler Vanessa Fox's arrival in June.
- Does Apple offer a crisis communications 2.0 case study?
Apple's mishandling of the iPhone price drop is a must-read for anyone involved in online public relations, consumer generated media, or universal search.
We report the top search marketing news daily at the Search Engine Watch Blog. You'll find more news from around the Web below.
- Utah Rewrites Search Law, But Trademark Registry Remains, ClickZ
- MSN/Atlas Combo Brings Local Video Ads to AP Affiliates, ClickZ
- The Meaning of Search, the Universe, and Everything, ClickZ
- Yes, you can automate SEO - we’ve done it!
- A Social Network for Google Earth?
- What Obligation Does An SEO Blogger Have?, SEO Scoop
- The 301 Sword For Link Power (AKA Scott’s Wholesale T-shirts), Vanessa Fox
- IP Addresses, SEO and Your Site, McAnerin Muse
- Geolocation - Your tool is probably wrong!, McAnerin Muse
- SEM meeting expectations is not good enough., Think About Search
- Live Search at a crossroads: Searchification and beyond, LiveSide.net
- Company Will Monitor Phone Calls to Tailor Ads, NY Times