Facebook has identified the group or individual responsible for an attack on its systems that spammed users with porn and violent images earlier this week. Facebook said that the attack "exploited a browser vulnerability" to spread the images in news feeds and wall pages.
The social site has determined who was behind the attack and is working with legal enforcement agencies on the matter, but declined to share these details with the public at this time. However, Facebook has ruled out hacking group Anonymous, which early reports had suggested could be responsible.
Wisniewski explained that the attack is particularly difficult to circumvent because the flaw is related to a browser rather than the Facebook site.
However, Wisniewski questioned why Facebook was attacked in such a way, as attackers generally use flaws for financial gain rather than what appears to be a "purely malicious act".
"It's precisely this kind of problem which is likely to drive people away from the site. Facebook needs to get a handle on this problem quickly, and prevent it from happening on such a scale again," he said.
Facebook claimed that most of the spam has already been eliminated, and that the company is working to improve its systems to better defend against similar attacks.
"Our engineers have been working diligently on this self-XSS vulnerability in the browser. We've built enforcement mechanisms to quickly shut down the malicious pages and accounts that attempt to exploit it," said a spokesman.
This article was originally published on V3.
This Year's Premier Digital Marketing Event is #CZLSF
ClickZ Live San Francisco (Aug 11-14) will bring together the industry's leading online marketing practitioners to deliver 4 days of educational sessions and training workshops. From Data-Driven Marketing to Social, Mobile, Display, Search and Email, the comprehensive agenda will help you maximize your marketing efforts and ROI. Register today!