Websites that display Twitter’s Tweet button on their homepage get seven times more social media mentions than sites without the button, according to a new report out today from enterprise SEO platform provider BrightEdge. That figure is based on an analysis of more than 4 million tweets.
The same report also finds, however, that only half of the web’s top 10,000 sites have added a social sharing button from Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or LinkedIn to their homepage.
After evaluating those 10,000 sites, BrightEdge found that 53.6 percent display “some social links or buttons” on their front pages, a slight increase from 52.8 percent in late July. Breaking it down further:
- 50.3 percent have adopted a Facebook Like/Recommend button.
- 42.5 percent have adopted a Twitter Tweet button.
- 8.1 percent have added a Google +1 button.
- 4 percent have added a LinkedIn Share button.
But the key takeaway here is that half of the web’s top websites still need to add a Tweet button to drive social traffic that will help drive sales, brand awareness, and affinity, says BrightEdge. And BrightEdge isn’t alone in this assessment.
Another study from Exact Target last year noted that consumers who follow brands on Twitter are three times more likely to amplify the influence of that brand. Some statistics on daily Twitter users:
- 72 percent publish blog posts at least once a month
- 70 percent comment on others’ blog posts
- 61 percent write at least one product review a month
- 61 percent comment on news sites
- 56 percent write articles for third-party sites
- 53 percent post videos online
- 50 percent make contributions to wiki sites
- 48 percent share deals found through coupon forums
Yes, Twitter is not for every site, and many people follow brands simply for freebies or to complain, but these statistics show that conversations that begin on Twitter aren’t limited to the 200 million tweets on Twitter every day. Or, simply, what happens on Twitter doesn’t stay on Twitter. After all, Twitter is faster than earthquakes.
If you want to get started on Twitter, here are 10 things you need to know – and here are some tips on how to increase retweets. Also see: "5 Ways Twitter Can Be Leveraged for B2B Search Engine Marketing" and "5 Tips on Building Brand Loyalty via Twitter."
This Year's Premier Digital Marketing Event is #CZLSF
ClickZ Live San Francisco (Aug 11-14) will bring together the industry's leading online marketing practitioners to deliver 4 days of educational sessions and training workshops. From Data-Driven Marketing to Social, Mobile, Display, Search and Email, the comprehensive agenda will help you maximize your marketing efforts and ROI. Register today!