Getting your message across is often much more effective on other websites than your own site.
Strong domains require less SEO effort to rank. This means you could potentially rank multiple times in the same top 10 search engine results page (SERP).
Additionally, being allowed to write for important industry websites is a great demonstration of your expertise.
Here's how you can execute this strategy.
When Expertise Leads to Sales
In knowledge intensive industries, showing your expertise and creativity often leads to increased sales. This can be seen in several industries. SEO consultants, lawyers, financial advisors, and even architects benefit from being found with articles displaying their work and knowledge.
If you're in an industry that rewards expertise, you should start guest blogging and writing articles for the authority websites in your niche.
Selecting the Platforms to Write for
- Start by selecting strong domains. You can find them by running searches for many relevant keywords in your industry. The ones that rank across a wide range of keywords indicate strong domains with a lot of links directed at them.
- They should preferably already work with a network of bloggers and allow guest blogging. Writing just a couple of guest blogs is often more effective than becoming a regular contributor, mainly because you want to spread your effort across multiple sites.
- Do they already rank for your most important keywords with another page? No problem! You will gain a head start in ranking, but your article will only be shown in search results once it outranks the older article. Because your article is more recent, it will often receive more internal link value. If you can get linked from existing posts and you attract just a couple of additional external links to your article, it is likely to beat the old article.
- Choose websites focused at other experts and also try to write for sites with entry-level audiences. Both can probably rank for interesting keyword combinations. Authoritative websites in your industry make you look more of an authority when you write for them.
Writing the Article
- Make sure your articles provide clear examples of your expertise and creativity. Make sure the title makes the article seem newsworthy enough and include an important keyword combination. The overall text should be well optimized for your main keyword, but other combinations can often be easily integrated as well.
- Articles that are worth sharing also attract a lot of social media attention. At least some of your articles should have a viral element in them. Depending on timing, personalized search, and other factors, you should always have at least one article in the top 10.
- You can easily have multiple articles across various sites focused on the same keyword combination. The resulting Google top 10 for that keyword should show your broad knowledge on that niche subject. Using various angles you make your articles relevant for everybody searching for the keyword combination.
- If allowed by the platform you write for, link to your own website and other related articles you've written. These could be on the same website or other ones you write for.
Start Writing Today
Start spreading your knowledge across the web. Use multiple authoritative sites to do so and you can rule the SERPs.
As an absolute guru on your subject you’re bound to get all the clients, speaking gigs, interviews and even articles about you. Guest blogging is a great way to the top.
Image Credit: Shutterstock
Optimising Digital Marketing Campaigns with Search, Social and Analytics
At SES London (9-11 Feb) you'll get an overview of the latest tools, tips, and tactics in Paid, Owned, Earned, Integrated Media and Business Intelligence to streamline your marketing campaigns in 2015. Register by 31 October to take advantage of Early Bird Rates.