UFO enthusiasts will love today’s Google Doodle which celebrates the 66th anniversary of the Roswell UFO incident. The Doodle is interactive and users need to help the alien retrieve his crashed UFO pieces in order to escape planet Earth.
The Roswell UFO incident surrounds an event that occurred in by Roswell, New Mexico where many believe a UFO crash landed on Earth in 1947, although the military has said that it was simply a top secret military surveillance balloon.
Roswell has been the subject of many conspiracy theories ever since with many believing the military covered up the recovery of a UFO and an alien, or extraterrestrial being.
If you're having trouble with the mini game, follow these steps to UFO victory.
- Click the down arrow to move down the hill, then click and pick up the top of the UFO.
- Continue down the hill
- Go to the left and click on the rope that ties the cow to the fence
- Move right and fall into the hole in front of the cow, grab nuclear waste
- Pour nuclear waste on tree so it grows
- Climb out of hole
- Continue to the right
- Climb up ladder and grab horseshoe, then climb back down
- Grab chicken feed next to ladder then continue right
- Feed the chicken the chicken feed to get the feather
- Pour the nuclear waste onto the tree so it grows
- Climb up the tree and over to the person sleeping
- Use the feather on the sleeping person to get the UFO piece
- Go back to the barn and give the nuclear waste to the horse
- The horse grows and knocks the UFO piece off the roof
- Fly away!
At the end you see the “Google Daily Record” with the headline “Flying Saucer Spotted in Roswell Region” – clicking it takes you to the Google search result for “Roswell UFO incident”.
This is a great example of Google taking an event like Roswell and creating a fun minigame out of it, albeit very tongue in cheek. And it is great to see Google highlight something that has been a pretty significant event in pop culture, having been featured and parodies on everything from "The X-Files" to blockbuster movies.
Twitter Canada MD Kirstine Stewart to Keynote Toronto
ClickZ Live Toronto (May 14-16) is a new event addressing the rapidly changing landscape that digital marketers face. The agenda focuses on customer engagement and attaining maximum ROI through online marketing efforts across paid, owned & earned media. Register now and save!