Online couponing is up 56% from last year, likely due to high gas prices and a weak economy, according to Hitwise data reported by CouponCabin.com. The coupon company says it has experienced 35% growth over last summer.
“As consumers become more and more conscious of saving money, they’re exploring new ways to cut costs without giving up too much of what they love, which includes shopping,” said Scott Kluth, founder and president of CouponCabin.com.
CouponCabin also gave the following tips for online shopping:
- Be Safe — Only Shop at Secure Websites: Secure websites are definable by a yellow padlock in the status bar. By shopping at a secure website, it ensures hackers are unable to obtain any of the shopper’s personal information.
- Save On Shipping — Search for Discounted or Free Shipping Coupons: Sites like CouponCabin.com have entire sections dedicated strictly to coupons for discounted or free shipping.
- Let The Sales Find You: Register for e-newsletters to stay constantly informed of sales and discounts.
- Stack For More Savings: Stacking is an online shopping trick that allows shoppers to use multiple coupons at once, providing extra savings. If there are two promotional code boxes, make sure to use two different coupon codes to maximize savings.
- Shop For The Things You Want: Check listings for coupon codes that pertain to specific items you are interested in. Sites like CouponCabin.com have a link for “favorite deals,” which allows shoppers to browse by category to view products with discount codes that may peak their interest.
Have you used online couponing? Share your experience in the comments.