Google is helping small businesses become more mobile-friendly through a new Google Sites feature called “Mobilize.” The tool allows webmasters to easily create mobile-optimized landing pages for their website.
The Benefits of Google Mobilize
To help small business owners easily create landing pages without the need for coding know-how, Google Sites is now offering mobile templates. Mobilize lets webmasters quickly choose a template and color scheme, put together a site, and add in mobile resources such as touch-to-call phone numbers, online forms, embedded videos, and more.
“With Google Sites mobile landing pages, you can build yourself a professional mobile landing page in minutes, for free,” says the official Google statement. According to my test run, that’s pretty accurate. I created a full mobile site in 19 minutes.
How to Create Your Mobilized Page
Care to make your own? The process is fairly straightforward. Just follow these eight steps:
- Go to the Mobilize Your Business page.
- Pick the closest category to your site using the default template options at the top.
- Pick a core color for the template. The mobile page will automatically choose complimentary colors.
- Click “Try this template” to be taken to a preview of the mobile site.
- Click “Use this template” in the top right to be directed to the Google Sites page.
- Fill out the requested data for the site’s name, categories, and other relevant information, then click “Create site.”
- Edit the page, inserting your logo, text, and widgets until you’re satisfied.
- Optional: Add a mobile redirection script to your main website. There are several options available, including the goMobi and Auto Redirect to Mobile tools.
Users who visit your site from a mobile phone will now be sent to your Google mobilized page. And, yes, it really is just that simple.
There’s no doubt that the world is becoming more mobile. As the official announcement of Mobilize reminds us, more than half of all Americans will own a smartphone by the end of this year, and more than half of all smartphone users are more likely to buy from a site that offers a mobile-friendly version.