Today Google celebrates the 6th birthday of Youtube and one year of owning AdMob. We celebrate a day of not having to read an SEO is dead post (actually, to be fair, there haven’t been many in awhile). But “a PPC is dead” post has been causing consternation over at AdAge – check it out if you want to get all fired up. Frankly, we’re still a bit confused as to what the author is actually trying to say.
- 13 Websites for Search Engine and Browser Market Share Statistics – Search Engine Watch
Bookmark this page now and never be caught not knowing your stats again.
- Army Using Social Media For Recruitment – Search Engine Watch
Military gets more savvy to social media and sponsors X-men: First Class movie to recruit next generation of soldiers.
- Mining patterns in search data with Google Correlate – Official Google Blog
New Google Labs project is like Google Trends, but in reverse. Enter a real world trend to see which search terms best match that trend.
- Sources: Yahoo Spurned New Offer By Jack Ma For Part of Alibaba Stake – Forbes
Yahoo sought deal with Chinese e-commerce giant, then decided $3.5 billion wasn’t enough for 15 percent of its stake in Alibaba.
- Yahoo CEO Bartz Says Alibaba Compensation Talks Progressing – Bloomberg
Wants compensation for last summer’s spinoff of Alipay.
- Group Targets Ad Pros Online in Anti-Fox News Campaign – ClickZ
Media Matters sparks ad buying controversy for Orbitz with targeted ads on Facebook, Google.
- UK Delays EU Cookie Law Enforcement – ClickZ
Regulators won’t require consent for cookie placement until May 2012.
- SEO in 30 Minutes or Less: Leveraging Smokin’ Hot Heat Maps – Search Marketing Standard
Five steps: weight your links, verify SEO keywords to clicks, compare search popularity to overall popularity, verify country to clicks, and fix anomalies.
- Case Study: The Effects of Modified Broad Match Keywords – PPC Hero
Three key takeaways from experiment: Improved click-through rate, insignificant reduction in spend, and insignificant improvement in conversion rates.
- YWA Version 10.1 Has Been Released – Yahoo Web Analytics
Yahoo rolls out new reporting interface, improved Segmentation Wizard UI, new audience definition segment feature, and more.
- 6 Ways to Avoid a Social PR Hangover – Search Engine Watch
If you thought waking up with a Maori tattoo on your face was bad…
- 5 Strategies for Managing Twitter Across Multiple Languages – Search Engine Watch
Have you considered doing this?
- Zynga About to File for IPO – All Things Digital
Following LinkedIn and Yandex, filing for IPO could come this week or next week at latest.
- Toyota Social Net Gives Voice to Customers and Cars – ClickZ
Private Toyota Friend social network will connect owners with live car data, among other features.
- AdMob celebrates one year at Google as mobile growth accelerates – Official Google Blog
Google launches new HTML5 rich media ad formats built specifically for tablets. Campaign management also gets upgrade, and Google rolls out new ad formats and better ad targeting for “House Ads” product. In the future, Google envisions “a single platform that enables seamless management of ads across desktop, video, mobile and tablets.”
- Mobile Insights: Click-to-call proves a valuable addition to the advertising mix – Google Mobile Ads Blog
Google announces addition of a phone icon and that the phone number is moving above the ad for Calls-only format.
- China Reaches 900 Million Mobile Phone Users – PCWorld
Android usage growing quickly, now at 11 million.
- New YouTube Statistics: 48 Hours of Video Uploaded Per Minute; 3 Billion Views Per Day – Search Engine Watch
Happy Birthday Youtube
- Twitter Acquires TweetDeck for $40 Million – Search Engine Watch
- What Happened After SayNow Was Acquired by Google – All Things Digital
After launching speak-to-tweet service during the Egypt revolution a week after being acquired by Google, they’re working on “concepts around real-time communication and voice.”
- Google’s Latest Data Center is Cooled Entirely With Sea Water – Business Insider
Video shows Google’s cooling system in Finland data center. This must have been very fun to take fro concept to reality.