With the new Search Engine Watch design we have retired the name SearchDay for our newsletters, which are now called SEW Daily and SEW Weekly. What you may have noticed in the newsletters is that we have removed the “around the web” section which always featured at the bottom of the old newsletter design.
Many users said they found that section interesting and useful, so instead, we have decided to take SearchDay back to it’s roots in 2001, which was a regular blog post summarizing the daily goings-on on the web. The name SearchDay is now reserved for our daily round up of what is going on in the web – but now with commentary.
As you can see below, today we’re experimenting by adding one sentence explanations to help you get a quick snapshot of what is going on.
So, without further ado, here’s a roundup of today’s other search news and headlines from around the web.
- Google Adds Postcode & ZIP Code Outlines to Maps – Periscopix
PPC agency Periscopix have noticed that outlines denoting the area of U.K. post code and U.S. ZIP codes are appearing in UK searches of Google Maps.
Eric Schmidt compares blocking access to illicit filesharing sites such as PirateBay to China blocking websites via the Great Firewall and says that Google will challenge UK government plans to fight piracy (such as the Digital Economy Act).
- Google leases new campus across Hwy. 101 in Mountain View – San Jose Mercury News
Google expanding Mountain View offices across Highway 101.
Google strikes biggest letting deal this year in London, to grab huge West End office space.
- Google legal team wins award for ‘audacity’ – MarketWatch
ALM award Google Legal team honored as “Best Legal Department 2011” for audacity.
- Bing Rankings Cheat Sheet – Search Engine Journal
Quick guide to SEO for Bing and the “little differences” to succeed there.
- Yahoo Buys Advertising Platform 5to1 – TechCrunch
Yahoo hope to expand their “premium inventory” with their publishing partners.
- Social and Search: A Small Business Primer – Bing Webmaster Center Blog
Bing-centric breakdown of why social is important to small businesses.
- Yahoo Search Trends: Summer Travel Planning – Yahoo Search Blog
Yahoo search trends in advance of Memorial day.
- An Update for Yahoo Mail Windows Users – Yahoo Mail Blog
Yahoo working with Microsoft to fix Yahoo Mail problems on Windows mobile devices.
Advertising industry self regulation empowered by merger.
- Transform Site Search – ClickZ
Advice on how to improve your internal search engine.
- Google Simplifies URL Removal in Webmaster Tools – Search Engine Watch
Google make it much easier to remove URLs from it’s index.
Search agencies struggling to help Pharma execs, ‘get it’.
- Core Content SEO Tools: Keyword Glossary & Editorial Plan – TopRank Online Marketing Blog
Advice on how to construct a keyword led editorial plan.
- Should internal links use rel=”nofollow”? – GoogleWebmasterHelp YouTube Channel
Matt Cutts answers questions.
- Streamline Your PPC Workflow With Excel – Search Engine Watch
How to use Excel formulas and functions to build a more effective PPC account, more quickly.
- 10 PPC Management Tips for a Company Rebranding – Certified Knowledge
Interesting considerations to troubleshoot PPC problems ahead of a rebrand.
- Pay Per Click (PPC) for SMB Part 2 – An Introduction to Bing. – adCenter Blog
Convoluted and meandering explanation of Bing for SMBs.
Facebook loosen marketing policies to create opportunities for alcohol, gasoline, gambling and even firearm brands.
- Advertisers Speak Up About Twitter Ads: “The click-through rates were paltry.” – Media Bistro
This parrot is dead? No it’s not. It’s pining. Pining for… geo-targeted clicks to boost advertiser results.
- Mission: Permission – Twitter Blog
Twitter introduce clearer and more informative permission screens for users to connect to Twitter Apps. Very nice.
A useful primer on the need to get your head around the future of location based marketing.
- Presidential Race 2012: Tracking Candidates’ Social Efforts – Experian Hitwise
Analysis of the Presidential Race 2012 and how it reflects in online stats, such as mentions search in search terms.
- Mississippi floods: images and data – Google LatLong
Track the extent of the destruction caused by the recent Mississippi River floods.
- CTR from mobile search is three times higher: study – Econsultancy
Better CTR on mobile search according to Efficient Frontier. But lower conversion rates. No big surprises here.
- Google: Android security flaw now being fixed for all users – Computerworld
Authenitication tokens being sent over the air unecrypted is being fixed for non-gingerbread devices.
- Promoted Video pricing change: Focusing on the value of views – Inside AdWords
Promoted videos move from a Cost-per-click (CPC) to a Cost-per-View (CPV) model. Advertisers will get charged at the point that a click leads to an actual video view.
- YouTube Town Hall: Where your views count – YouTube Blog
YouTube engage users in video debates. Listen to two sides of an argument on debated by members of congress and show your support with clicks.
Many thanks to SEW Associate Editor, Danny Goodwin, for curating these links for commentary.
Do you like this format? Let us know in the comments if you want to see more of this!