Want a snapshot of the day’s search marketing news? Here we’ve collected today’s top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Coverage from SEW Live — Columbus
Our latest SEW Live event took place today in Columbus, Ohio.
- Social Media Marketing Do’s and Don’ts
At Search Engine Strategies in New York last month, some top social media marketers shared the tricks of their trade.
- Gates Plans to Spend Remaining Time Focusing on Search
Microsoft chairman and founder Bill Gates said yesterday that he plans on spending his remaining 15 to 18 months of active duty at the company focusing on building the company’s search programs, in a broad sense.
- Travel Search Overview: Informative or Commercial?
We check in with the travel search engines profiled two years ago.
- Google Print Ads Now in AdWords Console
Andy Beal at Marketing Pilgrim has posted screenshots of the new Google Print Ads interface in the AdWords console.
- Yahoo Auctions to Bid Adieu
June 16 will see the closing of Yahoo Auctions in the US and Canada.
- Microsoft Takes Stake in CareerBuilder
Microsoft has acquired a minority equity stake in job search engine CareerBuilder, owned jointly by newspaper companies Gannett, Tribune and McClatchy.
- Yahoo Enhances Travel Maps
Yahoo has added some mapping features to Yahoo Travel, using AJAX to add layered images right on a Yahoo Map.
- Yahoo and Microsoft: A deal made in heaven or hell?
Do Yahoo and Microsoft really need each other? PC Magazine weighs in on the debate with dueling opinions.
- User-Generated Videos On Your Domain?
Encouraging your visitors to share video content on your domain seems like a natural progression, yet today we all equate video sharing with the portals.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Secret Web Power: How obscure links promote your site, SEO Theory
- Webmasters Need To Take Responsibility, Bruce Clay Blog
- The Google webmaster guidelines are killing babies, SEOish
- Microsoft Exploring Popularity Data for Ranking Search Results, SEO by the Sea
- SEO Site Analysis: Knowing the Score, Part 4, ClickZ
- What Are Search Engines Saying About Your Brand?, Search Engine Land
- Google Analytics Is Re-Launched: Do These Five Things First In V2, Occam’s Razor
- War Of The People Search, TechCrunch
- Gates makes case for Microsoft’s ad business, News.com
- What To Do When Your In House SEO Goes Bad?, SEO Roundtable
- The SEO Routine, SEOmoz
- Google Quality Score Myths & Truths, Search Marketing Gurus
- Google Drops The Bomb: Hand Job or Chron Job?, The Alchemy of Search
- Mobile social networks, don’t go it alone, GigaOm
- How Google handles malware: a historical overview, Matt Cutts