Want a snapshot of the day’s search marketing news? Here we’ve collected today’s top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Presidential Candidates Need Some Help with their Reputations
The majority of U.S. Presidential candidates have a negative reputation on search engines, according to a new study by Marketing Pilgrim.
- WSJ’s Mossberg Likes Ask3D
Wall Street Journal columnist and All Things Digital organizer Walt Mossberg compared Google’s Universal Search with Ask.com’s Ask3D, and found Ask3D to be a better way of presenting search results.
- Powerset Meets the Press
Powerset, the most talked about semantic search engine that no one has seen, is slowly opening its doors to scrutiny.
- ‘Short Tail’ Analytics: Getting to the Meat
SEO and web analytics company Engine Ready reminds us that while the ‘long tail’ is not something to forget about, the ‘short tail’ of search provides the majority of your conversions.
- Spock – The People Search Engine
Spock provides a remarkably clean and efficient people search engine.
- Google Maps Gets Click-and-Drag Functionality
Users of Google Maps can now change their destination and route by clicking and dragging.
- Yahoo Upgrades Panama’s Tools
The keyword selector tool is offering suggestions, copying and moving keywords amongst groups, and an improved help section have been added to Panama’s features.
- SEW Experts: Stop In-house SEO Disasters Now!
Kevin Ryan pens an ode to the in-house SEO practitioner, with a few best practices and a guide to identifying problematic personalities.
- SEW Experts: Video Search Optimization Tech Tips – Knowing the 4 P’s
Grant Crowell explains the technical aspects of video optimization and viral linking.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- London Bombs: The Big Fat Search Failure, Search Engine Land
- Is Anything Really Measurable Online?, ClickZ
- Facebook is the new AOL, Kottke.org
- The “Slums” Of Search, Search Engine Land
- Designated Searchers May Thwart Personalization, ClickZ
- Top 10 Search Providers, May 2007, ClickZ
- Google Answers Rises From The Dead In Russia, TechCrunch
- MySpace to follow rival’s lead, FT.com
- How Long Should You Keep a 302 Redirect in Place?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Yahoo’s Patrick Crane Joins LinkedIn as Vice President of Marketing, Search Engine Journal
- ‘Doing Search’ Only Counts If You’re Seen, Search Insider
- JetBlue : Brand Reputation on Search Engines, Search Engine Journal
- Do it Yourself Social Media Marketing, StepForth SEO
- Negative SEO and Google Bowling, Johnon
- Putting Alexa Rank to the Test, SEOlogs
- How SEO Forums Help Me, SEO Theory