Want a snapshot of the day’s search marketing news? Here we’ve collected today’s top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Click Quality Council Holds First Steering Committee Meeting
With over 20 people in attendance to this webinar meeting, representatives from Google and the IAB spoke with the committee about elements of click fraud.
- How To Determine What A Link Passes
Aaron Wall over at SEOBook wrote a great overview article the other day about how to see if a link passes “Reputation / Authority / Equity / Juice / etc…”
- Digg Goes with Microsoft for Ads
Social media site Digg has entered a deal with Microsoft to sell and serve display and contextual text ads on Digg, and to work together on future technology and advertising initiatives. The move displaces Federated Media and Google.
- Brand Owners Unite Against Domain Squatters
A group of big-name brand owners has teamed up to form CADNA: the Coalition Against Domain Name Abuse.
- Intent and Extent
The premise is that there are a variety of tactics that are perceived to be spammy. However, there is general agreement that for nearly every tactic associated with black hat behavior, there are also scenarios where the same tactic might be used on your site in a legitimate manner.
- Search and Affiliates Coming to London
Search Engine Strategies and Affiliates4U.com will host a one-day SES Forum at the A4U Expo coming to London in October.
- SEW Experts: Turning Local Inside Out
Kevin Ryan takes a look at what local search looks like today, and why one-stop technology and search providers have an advantage over the big sales forces and more heavily regulated telephone directory advertising.
- SEW Experts: Taking Your PPC Campaigns Beyond the Majors
Eric Enge shows you why you might want to broaden your horizons beyond Google, Yahoo and Microsoft with your PPC campaigns.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Kokich Promoted to CEO at Avenue A/Razorfish, ClickZ
- How ‘unavailable_after’ Should (But Won’t) Be Used, ClickZ
- Get Educated in Web Analytics, ClickZ
- SES San Jose 2007: The Perfect Conference Schedule, Web Analytics World
- Networking: The In-House Search Marketer’s Most Powerful Tool, Search Engine Land
- A Review of Unica’s Affinium NetInsight Web Analytics, Ramblings About SEO
- comScore Report Likely Misses Large Internet Segments, Natural Search Blog
- Search Bid Management Done Right, The Marketers’ Consortium
- Using Google AdWords’ “Change History” Tool, Searching Beyond the Paid
- New Inman Real Estate Report, Screenwerk
- I’m sick of users, The Groundswell
- We’re updating our online marketing forecast, Forrester’s Marketing Blog
- Google Universal Search Needs Customization, Marketing Shift
- Bogus Facts Released by CADNA, DomainTools Blog
- B2B Search Marketers: Keep It Simple, Search Engine Land
- Google Patent Granted on Semantic Units (Meaningful Compounds), SEO by the Sea
- The Web’s Top Takeover Targets, Read/Write Web
- Search Marketing and The Persuasion Principles, SEO Scoop
- If SEO were Politics, Which Party Would You Be In?, SEO Scoop
- Personalized Search Hits a Bump in the Road, Mike Moran
- Meta Tag Optimization: Baloney or Good SEO?, Online Marketing Blog
- Microsoft Now Using Autodiscovery Sitemaps for Crawl Assistance, Search Engine Roundtable
- Can Social Networking Cause Identity Theft?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Is SEO Awareness Dropping? Google Trends Shows it May Be, Natural Search Blog
- AOL Buys Tacoda (and its Strong Local Ties), Kelsey Group
- Former Superpages Head Joins YellowBook, Local Onliner
- Marty Himmelstein Disputes the Local.com Patent, Screenwerk
- SEO tip: Avoid keyword stuffing, Matt Cutts
- Google AJAX Search on the iPhoneGoogle Ajax Search API Blog