Want a snapshot of the day’s search marketing news? Here we’ve collected today’s top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Others Join YouTube, Google Copyright Lawsuit
More companies have joined Viacom in the lawsuit against Google and YouTube for copyright infringement.
- Bill Slawski Uncovers Possible Barter System Patent At Microsoft
Microsoft has applied for a bunch of patents covering click fraud, and what could be the groundwork for a barter system between publishers and advertisers.
- Yahoo Signs Deal With Reality Programming Company
Yes it is Rocket Science – at least that is the name of the reality programming company Yahoo just signed a production deal with.
- Google Hiring Independents To Collect Business Info For Maps
The Google Local Business Referral Program is an initiative to gather contact, business hours and other information on businesses for listings in Google Maps – where Google is using independent contractors to gather their information.
- Online Advertising to Surpass Newspaper Advertising by 2011
The 2007 annual research report on the media sector by media analysts Veronis Suhler Stevenson (VSS) forecasts online advertising will surpass newspaper advertising by 2011.
- Google Indexing Near Real Time
Matt Cutts updates us about how quickly Google updates its index. He relates a bit of the history of indexing speed, and then provides some examples to show that Google is now doing “Minty Fresh Indexing.”
- SEW Experts: The Site Map: Gateway to Optimization
Mark Jackson reviews a vital piece of on-site optimization, for both users and spiders.
- SEW Experts: Don’t Be a Local Yokel II – Enhancing Your Yahoo Local Listing
Carrie Hill tells you how to enhance your local listings in Yahoo! Local to bring more traffic to your site.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- 5 Ways an SEO Can Make More Money (That Have Nothing to Do with Google), Tropical SEO
- Game: Beat dup content, hidden text, cloaking, redirect, link farmer, spam lord., Jim Boykin
- Answers.com is Searching for its own “Answers”, SearchViews
- A guaranteed number one listing at Google, Mike Grehan
- SEO with Usability: What The People Want, Cre8pc
- Is Google Analytics the Killer App? No., Web Analytics Demystified
- What’s it like to be an SEO Chick – an interview with Lisa D, Site Visibility
- Measuring Search Effectiveness without Conversions, SEM Angel
- Carat makes a bold and timely move, Jaffe Juice
- SEO: Is Your Site Holiday-ready?, Practical ECommerce
- A Brief Chat With New Yahoo Ad Guy Dave Karnstedt, BoomTown
- The Right Way To Fix Inaccurate Wikipedia Articles, Search Engine Land
- Combat Click Fraud By Blocking Low Quality Traffic, Search Engine Land
- ComScore Sees a Boom Year Globally for Social Nets, ClickZ
- Publicis Embraces Search Intelligence, ClickZ
- Is Web Analytics Really That Difficult?, ClickZ
- Rethinking ‘Crossing The Chasm’, Read/Write Web
- How to Know if a 301 Redirect Counts, SEO Book
- Linkbait, it’s about the banal & the fascinating, Site Visibility
- This Post Will Self-Destruct in 30 Seconds, SEO Chicks