Want a snapshot of the day’s search engine news? Here we’ve collected today’s top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Australian Watchdog Suing Google Gets Judicial Criticism
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission was told its legal briefs were unclear and were ordered to submit summaries of their main allegations by the Australian judge overseeing the case.
- Newsknife finds dramatic changes in Google News ratings
Google’s recent decision to host material produced by The Associated Press (AP) and three other wire services on Google News is having an impact on rankings of news sites.
- Google Mobile to Start Running AdWords
Google will begin showing AdWords ads within Google Mobile Search in the next few days.
- The Year for Mobile Ads is Here…Really
According to a Kelsey Group report, a confluence of factors may mean that now really is the time for mobile advertising to take off.
- SEW Experts: Should You Worry About Site Speed?
Aaron Shear explains that concerns about page load times are not a thing of the past. Optimizing your site and addressing site speed can make a big difference in your search rankings.
- SEW Experts: Reach Today’s Search Users With Long-Tail Optimization
Mark Jackson discusses the evolution born of necessity which has led search users to come so far in such a short time. He tells you how you can reach today’s educated search engine user by optimizing for the long tail.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Even A Blind Hog Finds An Acorn Now and Then, SEO Chicks
- Ask City Makes Embedding Maps Just A Click Away; Enhanced Driving/Walking Directions Also Online, ResourceShelf
- What is SEO?, Web Analytics World
- Reference Guide For New or Experienced Domainers & SEOmainers, The Domainer’s Gazette
- SEOs Hate Generalizations and Yet…We Generalize, Search Engine Guide
- The Idiocy of Google’s Paid Link Crusade, Search Engine Guide
- Web 2.0 & SEO: Must We Piss In Every Public Fountain?, SEO Fast Start
- 24/7 Offers Search Retargeting Across Global Web Alliance, ClickZ
- An Untapped SEO Opportunity: Image Link Love From Wikipedia, Search Engine Land
- Facebook ‘costs businesses dear’, BBC
- Yahoo Local Now Features “User Denigrated Content”, Search Engine Land
- Are You a Newbie, a Novice, a Master or a Dark Lord of SEO – Take our Quiz & Find Out, SEOmoz
- Rand’s New SEO Quiz, SEO Fast Start
- Using Competitor Analysis to Aid SEO, Web Marketing Today
- Hitchhikers Guide to Linkless SEO, SEOish
- Search Engines & The Illusion of Privacy, Alt Search Engines
- Top mistakes newbie SEOs make, Jennifer Slegg
- My Google AdSense Referrals Wishlist, JenSense
- AskCity Tips & Tricks, Ask.com Blog
- Facebook’s SEO Facelift, Search Insider
- SEO Backup Plans For Beginners, SEO Theory
- Web Analytics: Understand, Then Segment Your Audience, ClickZ
- Harness the Power of Vertical Social Networks, ClickZ
- Superpages.com Adds Merchant Comparison Feature, Search Engine Journal
- Typo-squatter faces 20 years in jail, VNUnet