Want a snapshot of the day’s search marketing news? Here we’ve collected today’s top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- 7 Deadly SEO Questions for Google’s Matt Cutts
“Among search geeks and online marketers, Matt Cutts is like an internet god.”
- Ask.com to Cut 8%, Revamp Search Plans
Ask.com will reportedly stop trying to compete directly with Google as a mainstream search engine, and will instead focus on targeting niches where it feels it can prosper, based on the way users are searching with Ask.com now.
- Facebook Hires Sandberg to Make Microsoft’s $240 Million Investment Pay Off
In the strange bedfellows game in tech, the Google exec will help Microsoft profit from the $15 billion Facebook valuation Microsoft’s $240 million investment created.
- Yahoo Announces onePlace at CeBIT
Yahoo took advantage of the CeBIT conference in Hamburg, Germany to announce the forthcoming launch of onePlace, a content management solution developed as part of the company’s growing mobile services.
- Spot Runner Buys Weblistic: Local Search on Video Steroids
Today Spot Runner announced its acquisition of Weblistic, a provider of local online advertising, in an all-stock transition.
- Virgin Charter Launches Vertical Search Engine
Sir Riichard Branson launched a new vertical search engine, Virgin Charter, that promises to revolutionize high-end corporate travel and last minute luxury travel.
- Gates Talks Smack – Google Talk Crack
“In terms of Google, not to overstate it, but they really don’t understand the special needs of business.”
- SEW Experts: Small Business Growing? Know When to Let Go
If you’re spending more time on search marketing than actually running your business, it might be time to outsource.
- Dr. Seuss Created Google – Here’s Proof
Dr. Seuss is the Genius behind Google. Here’s proof: Goo Goo + Goggles = Google. ((goo + goo) – goo))+ (goggles – g squared – s) = google.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Digital Marketing Optimization, ClickZ Experts
- Mapping the Complete Path to Success, ClickZ Experts
- Online Market Research Giant TNS Snaps Up Boston’s Compete, ClickZ News
- 10 Interactive Marketing Tips from Barack and Hillary, ClickZ Experts
- Danny Sullivan Tackles Search 3.0 and 4.0 in SMX West Keynote, Search Engine Land
- Ignorant Customers Happier With Their Choices, AttentionMax
- How Analytics Can Help You Debunk a Perceived Failure (or Not), E-Marketing Performance
- When is Click Through Rate Important in B2B Paid Search?, KO Marketing
- SEO Is The Worst Thing Ever Invented, Vanessa Fox
- Are we ready to create SEO standards?, SEO Theory
- Bee’s Do It, Even NonProfits Do It. Let’s Do It, Let’s Fall In Link Love, The Link Spiel
- The Future of Social Networks at Graphing Social Patterns, Read/Write Web