If a search engine allows its users to change the results, is it still called hacking? While many news outlets are saying Wikia’s new features allow users to hack results, it’s really just part of their modus operandi.
Today, Wikia announced a plethora of new features for users to have their say in how search results should really be. And here they are:
- The ability to edit any result, title and summary. The edits are then instantly available to everyone
- The ability to add new results for any search query instantly
- The ability to delete and/or hide any result
- Every result item can be rated 1-5 stars, which will slowly influence the ranking position
- The ability to add suggested and/or related searches for any query
- The ability to add public comments to any result item
- The opportunity to see site previews and annotate text, images, links and forms directly into the results
- The ability to try any search on Google, Yahoo, or any other search engine with a single click
- The ability to customize the background on the header for a more themed result for any search
- The opportunity to view the change history showing all the social actions for any page
Looks very social, don’t ya think? Let me know by leaving a comment.
Want to learn more about Wikia? Check out these posts…
How Will Wikia Grow The Index?
Wikia Search: Wikia Dream? Or SEO Wake-Up Call?
Wikia Search Requires Your Help
Search Wikia Launches Open Source, Distributed Crawler