Local search site Citysearch has launched an application for the iPhone and iPod touch.
Citysearch is touting the following features for the app:
- Search nearby destinations: food, bars, spas, shops and hotels
- Search listings by keyword, category and location and map the results
- Review listing details: address, phone, maps & directions, photos, hours of operation and more
- Submit user reviews instantly, without a lengthy registration process
- View previous searches & recently viewed listings
- Browse editorial recommendations, user reviews and advice from business owners
- Featured write-ups on what’s hot in a local neighborhood or city
- Sort results by key listing attributes including distance, cost and Citysearch rating
- Bookmark your favorite listings
Unfortunately, the implementation leaves a lot to be desired. The top listing for Food using My Location is a catering business based out of a nearby home. Another listing is an independent coffee shop that no longer exists.
Shopping was worse. The top results didn’t include anything from nearby Brier Creek, a very popular shopping area in North Raleigh where I live.
The app looks fantastic. I like the dark background and light colors that don’t make my eyes strain. But hopefully Citysearch will improve its results to make the app more useful.
Citysearch Rebuilds Site with a More Social, Local and Mobile
MapQuest Partners with Citysearch for Comprehensive Search Results