Google Plans eBook Store to Launch in 2010

At the Frankfurt Book Fair, Google announced plans to launch an eBook store. The store will be called Google Editions and will launch in the first half of 2010.

About 500,000 books will be available at launch. They will also be available for download on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Google emphasized that it does not have plans to make an e-reader device.

Google will pay publishers of the e-books 63% and keep the remaining 37% when purchases are made through Google Edition. When purchased through another retailer, Google will get a very tiny share, with 45% going to the publisher and 55% going to the retailer.

Related reading

marketing-cloud-1-360x270
A pair of yellow cartoon hands holds the newspaper The Springfield Shopper, which bears the headline SLEEP IMPORTANT, SAY EXPERTS.
facebook at work
The front page of the Simpsons newspaper Springfield Shopper, with the headline Wiccan Curse Blinds Half the Town. Underneath the subheading reads, Newspaper sales plunge 50 percent
Simple Share Buttons