Calling it the unfolding of a new era of social search, Bing this week revealed big changes to their search results. Bing and Facebook are teaming up to better personalize search results, to essentially serve everyone a different search experience, based on the Likes of their Facebook friends.
Facebook open graph data is likely to have its biggest impact on Bing’s local search results. With so many reviews, via so many aggregators, and different listing verification companies, the average user is no longer able to assess their value, writes Jonathan Allen in “Facebook Data Should Focus Eyes on Bing Local Results.”
Here’s a roundup of this week’s other columns and news stories for the week of Oct. 11 to 15, as reported by Search Engine Watch, as well as search news and tips from around the web.
Search Engine Optimization
Your Evil Twin: Identifying and Managing Duplicate Content by Josh McCoy
Duplicate content can keep you out of the SERPs. A host of tools can help you identify and manage duplicate content.
Universal Search: Not All Blends are Created Equal by Eli Goodman
Searchers are more inclined to interact and engage with blended results than text-based results. Here’s how blended results can impact your search marketing and optimization efforts on Google, Bing, and Yahoo.
Google Adds Link Analysis Features to Webmaster Tools by Danny Goodwin
Google has updated the “Links to your site” section of Webmaster Tools. You can now see which sites link to yours most often, which pages on your site have received the most links, and samples of the anchor text (“how your data is linked”) external sites use when they link to your site.
Google Webmaster Tools Update: Better Parameter Handling by Danny Goodwin
Google announced that webmasters now have the ability to choose a specific value among the known values for a given URL parameter to help SEOs manage duplicate content.
- Duplicate content sin #1: Pagination – Conversation Marketing
- 3 More Critical SEO Mistakes You Are Making – HubSpot Blog
- 7 Difficult Client Expectations You WILL Encounter in SEO (And How to Fix Them) – SEO.com
- Google Keyword Research Tool: Not Popular – SEO Book.com
- Sleazy SEO sales tactics (and how to avoid them) – Conversation Marketing
- Are You Making One of These Common SEO Mistakes? – BlueGlass
- 7 Fixes to Communication Problems with SEO Clients – SEO.com
- Image (Not Rankings) Matter in SEO – Search Engine Guide
- Why Keeping That Old Domain is Important – CShel
- What Social Media Can Teach Us About SEO – ClickZ
- Ranking for Keyword + Cityname in Multiple Geographies – SEOMoz
- How Google May Use Categories as a Search Ranking Factor – SEO by the Sea
- Google Search URL Parameters – Query String Anatomy – BlueGlass
- Serious Robots.txt Misuse & High Impact Solutions – SEOmoz
- Using YouTube as a Keyword Research Tool for SEO – SEOmoz
- Make Your Language Richer with Google Search: Tricks and Tools – BlueGlass
- SEO (Usually) Does Not Create Demand – SEO Book.com
- Structure reader-friendly content for conversions! – SEO Copywriting
- Creating A Single Sitemap For Multiple Content Formats – Search Marketing Standard
- Does Bing Time Shift Search Results? – SEO by the Sea
Using Conversion Funnels to Improve Your Conversion Rate, Part 1 by Joseph Kerschbaum
How you can apply data from Search Funnel reports in AdWords to improve your conversion rate and overall PPC performance.
3 adCenter Optimization Tips by Jeremy Hull
It has finally happened. At least a portion of your Yahoo paid search traffic is now running through Microsoft’s adCenter platform. Here’s how to get the most out of it for the upcoming holiday season and beyond.
It’s True: Optimizing PPC Campaigns for Quality Score is Still Important by John Lee
Some simple tips for optimizing your campaigns to improve quality score.
- FEC Hands Down Wobbly Opinion on Google Political Ads – ClickZ
- AdKeeper Lets Consumers Store Display Ads for Later – ClickZ
- Avoiding accidental clicks Pt. 1: Keeping the right distance – Inside AdSense
- Performance at Scale on the Google Display Network – Inside AdWords
- Feature Comparison Series: Conversion and Campaign Analytics – adCenter Blog
- Holiday Preparation Series: Electronics PPC Insights and Optimization Tips (U.S. Market) – adCenter Blog
- Ad Serving Now Shifting to adCenter – Yahoo Search Marketing Blog
- Google Tags, Paid Search Meets SEO – ClickZ
- How Retargeting Can HURT Sales – Rimm-Kaufman
- Image Ads: Why Bother? – PPC Hero
- PPC Preparation for Christmas – Vertical Leap Blog
- Managing the Content Network in Google and Bing – PPC Hero
Analytics & ROI
- Introducing In-Page Analytics: Visual context for your Analytics data – Google Analytics Blog
- Conversion Testing: How Dependable Is Your Traffic? – ClickZ
- Optimizing Conversion Rates with 5 Simple Qualitative & Quantitative Tests Part 1 – Performable
- How Our Redesign Lowered Conversion Rates and Increased Revenue – bg Theory
- Back-to-Basics: Non-Brand Keywords – Google Analytics
Social Media Marketing
How to Get Actionable Insights From Social Media Measurement and Monitoring Tools by Garry Przyklenk
Social media monitoring tools provide a ton of data that you can use for brand management, generating leads, business development, and customer service. Here’s how to cut through the noise and find your way to big profits.
Social Search Commands for Everyday Use
by Kaila Strong
Whether you’re looking for link building opportunities, business prospects, videos, or just want to know what’s being said in your industry, about your brand, or a product, these social search engines can help you easily find what you’re looking for.
How to Cut Through Social Media Clutter by Mark Drummond
Social networking is great, but it’s rapidly creating a problem on par with e-mail overload. Here’s a clutter management solution that’s a win for both marketers and end-users.
5 Social CRM Myths, Busted by Jacob Morgan
Social customer relationship management isn’t a magic solution to what ails your company. However, it can help you solve your problems and meet business objectives around the evolving needs of your social customers.
Facebook Adds 20 New Payment Options for Buying Credits by Jonathan Allen
Facebook has partnered with PlaySpan’s Ultimate Pay platform to expand its Facebook Credits Developer program. Users can now buy premium items and virtual goods in within apps and games via Facebook credits paid for with prepaid store cards and gift cards.
U.S. Senior Marketers Focus On Converting Customers via Social Media in Q3 2010 by Jonathan Allen
The Pearlfinders U.S. Index tracks topics from over 4,000 conversations with senior marketing executives in the US per year, aggregating their opinion by trend and topic. Of the 224 digital-specific briefs profiled in Q3, nearly a third of interviewees were looking at their digital media support this quarter.
- Pepsi to Emphasize Geo-Social in 2011 – ClickZ
- Brands ‘Like’ Facebook Ads: 3 Case Studies – ClickZ
- Report: A Facebook Share Is Worth $2.52 – All Facebook
- The Real Way To Get Facebook Fans For Next To Nothing – All Facebook
- How To Generate Revenue Through Facebook Marketing – All Facebook
- #100% – Twitter Blog
- Evan Williams: “Twitter Will Get to a Billion Members” – Mashable
- Digg CEO Says “We’re Sorry,” Brings Back Some Old Digg Features – ReadWriteWeb
- 4 Common Social Media Questions Answered – ClickZ
- Promote Your Site With Social Media – Search Engine People
- How To Market A Social Media Contest: Working Example – Search Engine Journal
- 5 Deadly Sins of Corporate Social Media Marketing – TopRank Online Marketing Blog
“Ridiculously Easy” Link Building with New Ontolo Tool: A Q&A with Garrett French by Danny Goodwin
Ontolo launches V2 of its Link Building Toolset today, making it “ridiculously easy” for SEOs to find and evaluate backlink prospects.
- Advanced Link Building Strategies for Affiliate Sites Presentation – Blogstorm
- Link building for SEO beginners – Econsultancy
Local & Mobile
- AOL Revives ‘City’s Best’ Local Metro Guide After Two Years – paidContent
- An Updated Design for Reviews on Place Pages – Google LatLong
- Tips for creating a free business listing in Google Places: Business listing titles – Google LatLong Blog
- Google Maps Penguins – Penguins For Street Views – Search Engine Roundtable
- Comets and robots – Google LatLong Blog
- Kite Aerial Photos of Manihi Now in Google Earth – Google Earth Blog
- Windows Phone 7 Revealed: What You Need to Know – ReadWriteWeb
- Microsoft Joins the Mobile Ad Race With Windows Phone 7 – ClickZ
- Android Sales Outpace iPhone in August – ClickZ
- Google Mobile Search Developments – ClickZ
- Google Just Lost a Potential Ally in its Legal Tussle with Oracle – Mashable
- Web Search for Smartphones – Yahoo Search Blog
- Bit.ly Fires Back at Google With its Own QR Code Generator – BIA/Kelsey
- Android 2.1, 2.2 Creep to Nearly 75% of Google Handsets – Google Watch
- Android TweetDeck 1.0: Ready for Market – TweetDeck Blog
SMB Search Marketing
- 5 Big Social Media Questions from Small Business Owners – Mashable
- Twitter Prepping Ad Product for Small Businesses – Mashable
- Google Places and Tags Holiday Guide – Google Small Business Blog
- Small Business Essentials Series: Targeting and Incremental Bidding – adCenter Blog
Top Tips for Search Engine Marketing in Germany, Part 2 by Michael Bonfils
Four more SEM/SEO tips to help your efforts in the difficult German market.
UK Senior Marketers Focus On Mobile SEO Over Social Media in Q3 2010 by Jonathan Allen
The Pearlfinders UK Index, tracks interview topics from over 5,000 conversations with marketing decision makers in the U.K. said that in Q3 2010, one in three marketing budget holders were considering digital services. In contrast to their Q2 findings, mobile was firmly back on the agenda for Q3, inspired by Google’s Eric Schmidt’s keynote speech in which he urged companies to be “mobile first”. Areas of interest included, mobile search, geolocation and iPhone optimisation.
- China’s Taobao launches Web search engine – Reuters
- Many Germans Opt Out of Google’s Street View – The New York Times
- T-Mobile and Google sign European search deal – GSMA
- Holiday Preparation Series: Retail PPC Insights and Optimization Tips (U.K. Market) – adCenter Blog
- Google Experimenting with Images on its Homepage (India) – Digital Inspiration
- Google Pushes Android for India – Wall Street Journal
- Google Running Funny Print Ads For AdWords In Turkey – Silicon Alley Insider
- Social Media Marketing in Foreign Countries and Languages – Search Engine Journal
- How to Select an Effective Keyword Phrase for a Marketing Campaign – ClickZ.asia
The Search Industry
comScore: Google Grows; Yahoo Falls; Bing Steady in September by Danny Goodwin
comScore’s September U.S. search market share numbers are out. Google, which has dropped share or remained steady pretty much for the last year, made some slight gains. Meanwhile, Yahoo took a hit and Bing held steady.
Yahoo’s Shashi Seth Calls comScore Data Misleading, Blames Google Instant by Danny Goodwin
Shashi Seth, Sr. VP, Yahoo Search & Marketplaces called the latest comScore results, which showed Google’s search market share increase and Yahoo’s dip, misleading. He said the increase was likely due to people who…well, type too slowly using Google Instant.
Paid Search Reports: Google Profits at Bing/Yahoo’s Expense by Danny Goodwin
Google gobbled up more paid search spending share last quarter, a result of the Bing/Yahoo integration, according to new reports from Efficient Frontier and SearchIgnite.
Search Ad Revenues Strong in Record-Breaking Half-Year, IAB Reports by Danny Goodwin
U.S. Internet advertisers spent $12.1 billion in the first half of this year — a new half-year record, and the highest second-quarter revenue on record, the Interactive Advertising Bureau reported yesterday. That figure is 11.3 percent higher than the first half of 2009.
Google Bombs Away! Liberals Eager to Damage GOP in the SERPs by Danny Goodwin
With the November mid-term elections just a few weeks away in the U.S., one website is urging its readers to manipulate Google’s organic search results in an effort to lead Democrats to victory.
- Mark Zuckerberg Believes Google Has No Incentive to Innovate – Google Watch
- Innovator: Blinkx Creator Suranga Chandratillake – Bloomberg
- Inside The Bidding Wars Behind Online Search Words – Silicon Alley Insider
- Following Layoffs, OneRiot Ditches Realtime Search Portal To Focus On Ad Network – TechCrunch
- ‘Scrapers’ Dig Deep for Data on Web – Wall Street Journal
- Surf Canyon Adds “Fully Dynamic” Instant Search – TechCrunch
- The Art & Science of Music Recommendation Engines – ReadWriteWeb
Google Earns $7.29 Billion in Huge Q3 by Danny Goodwin
Google was expected to report big third quarter profits, and they delivered. But earnings even topped analysts estimates by a wide margin, as Google reported revenues of $7.29 billion, an increase of 23 percent compared to Q3 2009.
Google’s Marissa Mayer Takes Over Location, Local Services by Danny Goodwin
Marissa Mayer, Google’s vice president of search products, is leaving behind search. She’ll take on a new role within the company, as Google pushes more into location and local services.
NBC Cancels Google TV Ad Deal Early by Danny Goodwin
NBC has opted out of its multi-year advertising partnership with Google because the company found “little value” in having Google sell its ads.
- Inflatable Giant Gorilla Attacks Google (for Copyright Infringement)–Scherba v. Google – Technology & Marketing Law Blog
- Google Testing Highlighting Search Results On Mouse Over Event? – Search Engine Roundtable
- Sony unveils “connected” TVs using Google platform – Reuters
- Big media wants more piracy busting from Google – CNET News
- Instant Search, an Optional Feature in Google Chrome – Google Operating System
- New Featured Extensions – Google Chrome Blog
- Google Testing Chrome OS Release Candidates. Official Release 1 Month Away? – TechCrunch
Yahoo News: Bartz Fears Facebook; Groupon Rumor; BOSS Paid Service by Danny Goodwin
Lately, you need a chart to keep track of the talent Yahoo has lost under Carol Bartz’s watch. It seems even Bartz realizes she isn’t the perfect person for the job at Yahoo, as she said as much during an interview.
- Yahoo Website Temporarily Crashes – Tech News Daily
- Yahoo’s Stock Acts Like It’s in Play-Because It Kind of Is, as Predators Circle – All Things Digital
- Yahoo Said to Hire Goldman to Handle Takeover Approaches – Bloomberg
- Yahoo CEO Bartz Among Most Overpaid, Proxy Firm Says – Bloomberg
- Yahoo Shifts Media Account to MediaVest – Advertising Age
- New Ticker and Athlete Suggestions for Yahoo Finance and Sports Search – Yahoo Search Blog
Microsoft Live Labs is Dead, Employees Move to Bing by Danny Goodwin
Microsoft Live Labs is no more. The remaining 68 employees will join Bing.
Online Video News
Will It Blend? – Old Spice by Greg Jarboe
Speaking of online video, check out the latest video from Will It Blend? It was uploaded today to Blendtec’s Channel on YouTube.
YouTube Still Top Online Video Site, but Battle for #2 Gets Intense by Greg Jarboe
Although Google Sites, driven primarily by video viewing at YouTube.com, ranked as the top online video content property with 144.2 million unique viewers, the big battle is now over who is #2.
If a Picture is Worth a Thousand Words, Then Is a Video Worth a Million? by Greg Jarboe
According to the guest bloggers, “Through Promoted Videos, there have been almost 100,000 views on our YouTube channel and more than 15 million impressions of our brand name – all at the most competitive cost-per-click you will find anywhere online.”
- Download YouTube Captions – Google Operating System
SES Conference & Expo
SES Chicago 2010 to Feature Mari Luangrath, Head Cupcakeologist and Owner of Foiled Cupcakes by Greg Jarboe
SES Chicago 2010 gets underway next week. I’m planning to attend the Marketing Virtuoso Session entitled “Shoes, Cupcakes and Social Media: Building an Army of Brand Ambassadors.”
Online Media and Search Blogs Already Writing Articles and Blogging about SES Chicago 2010 by Greg Jarboe
Why are online media and search blogs already writing articles and blogging about SES Chicago 2010? Because the event is being held Oct. 18-22, 2010. Yep, that’s next week.
- Search: Where to Next? – ClickZ
- Marketing Lessons From Google – ClickZ
- Learn Video SEO At Search Engine Strategies (SES) Chicago – ReelSEO
- aimClear Blogging & Speaking Agenda: SES Chicago ’10 – aimClear
- SES Chicago 2010 Live Blog Coverage Schedule – Search Engine Roundtable
- SES Chicago 2010 advanced blog coverage continued! – SES Blog
- SES Chicago to Feature Panels and Sessions Emphasizing Chicago Area Economy and Politics – SES Blog