Stefanie Olsen does a great job offering a look at several search and info retrieveal research projects underway at various universities in the US.
You'll read about:
- A new research center that's beginning UC Berkeley. Google and other players will be asked to join. About a month ago, Yahoo announced a new research lab at the school.
- Personalized search research at Carnegie Mellon University
- Answer search research also at CMU
- Work at Stanford, "on artificial-intelligence techniques for extracting knowledge from text in a search index."
- Semantic Web resesearch at MIT including the Simile and Piggybank (tagging projects)
If and when I can find some time (I sure hope it's soon) I plan to delve into each of these research projects and report back. I also want to look at other IR/search research projects going on at universities around the globe. Two projects that quickly come to mind are: