Russia's Mail.Ru Drops Google Search, Launches Own Search Engine

mail-ru-logoThere is a new international search engine on the scene. Mail.Ru, which is also known as My.com, has been serving Google search results for several years but has now dropped Google in order to serve search results with their own new search engine, The Next Web reported.

Rumors abounded last year that the company planned to cancel their Google contract in favor of their own search engine they’ve been reportedly developing for several years. It is believed they recently began serving about 40 percent of Mail.Ru’s search results, while using Google for the remaining 60 percent.

This is definitely a loss for Google since Mail.Ru reaches approximately 86 percent of Russian Internet users every month, although currently it serves only 9 percent of all Russian search queries. Russia also has another search engine, Yandex, which is currently Russia’s biggest search engine.

There are also rumors that Mail.Ru plans to expand to more countries, under their My.com domain, to make inroads in international search markets.

About the author

Jennifer Slegg began as a freelance writer, and turned to search engine optimization and writing content for the web in 1998. She has created numerous content-rich sites in niche markets and works with many clients on content creation, strategy, and monetization. She writes about many search industry and social media topics on her blog, JenniferSlegg.com and is a frequent speaker at search industry conferences on SEO, content marketing and content monetization. Acknowledged as the leading expert on the Google AdSense contextual advertising program, she runs JenSense, a blog dealing exclusively with contextual advertising. She is also the founder and editor of The SEM Post. She is known by many as her handle Jenstar on various webmaster forums.