We've collected all the search marketing news from selected posts to the Search Engine Watch blog in the past week, along with recent search-related headlines from around the Web.
From the SEW blog:
- Super Bowl Advertisers Fumble on SEO
The advertisers who spent millions on TV airtime during Super Bowl 42 should have spent a little more of their budget on basic search engine optimization.
- SEW Experts: Why Search is Still Prehistoric - Part 2
Many search marketers were disappointed with the Yahoo Panama release, finding it to be more of a catch-up to Google than a leap forward.
- Courts Need Consensus on Trademark Law and Search
There's a bit of confusion in the courts surrounding keyword advertising, and overall search engine marketing issues.
- SEW Experts: How to Target Sites in AdSense
David Szetela shares tips for creating placement-targeted campaigns (originally called site-targeted campaigns).
Linking Issues & Social Media
- SEW Experts: Coffee, Tea, or Link Love?
Developing links for a business-to-business (B2B) site can be a challenge.
- Social Media Could Thrive In a Recession, Says Forrester
A report from Forrester out today says this time online and social media marketing could escape budget cuts if a recession does emerge.
- Boost Organic Results. Link Build with Social Media
There are hundreds of social communities other than blogs. These niche' player-communities can be terrific venues to engage readers of similar ilk, make friends, drive focused micro-busts of traffic, and build links.
- Social Media 2.0 - Witness for the Defence
The web has changed the way we access information and people have discovered the power of voice. Should a press release be a part of this social Web?
- Does Social Media 2.0 deserve a second life?
Is Marketwire's Social Media 2.0 press release another meatball sundae?
Analytics & ROI
- SEW Experts: Tracking and Analytics 101
The lack of uniform analytics definitions creates problems for marketers.
Local & Mobile Search
- Google Map Business Categories, Unraveling the Black Box
Blumenthal has published research which seems to offer a solution to help garner placement in coveted Google Maps business categories.
- SEW Experts: The 411 on Local Search Data for Business
When incorrect listing information for your company finds its way into the local listing database of some data provider, it can start spreading like wildfire from local search site to local search site.
- What Do Users Get on Google News Local Search? Zip.
Google Local News search may not be canceled like the 90210 TV series, but it's not ready for primetime.
Vertical & Specialty Search
- Y! Live is Dead! Long Live Yahoo! Live
Yahoo! Live, the experimental live video service, debuted and crashed today.
Small Business/Big Brand SEM
- SEW Experts: 4 Ways Google AdWords Can Increase Small Business Profits
Carrie Hill outlines four key areas most new-to-PPC marketers overlook that cost them money.
In-House & Outsourcing
- SEW Experts: How To Market Your Search Engine Agency
You'd think that being in the marketing business would mean you were an expert at marketing your own business. In reality, it can be a struggle to keep a regular pipeline of sales leads.
- SEW Experts: How to Engage Customers in Search Marketing
Relationships between businesses and customers are changing. Search marketing can no longer operate in a vacuum, but is just a part of the bigger marketing picture.
SEM Industry Issues
- Decision Time for Yahoo?
Today's the day Yahoo's board will make a decision on how to proceed with Microsoft's takeover bid.
- Yahoo Desperately Seeking Suitor
With limited options, Yahoo board members face increased pressure to accept Microsoft's hostile bid.
- SEOs of the World, Unite!
January was a bad month for SEO reputation. Will February be SEO Groundhog Day?
- SEW Experts: Don't Waste Money on a So-Called SEO Specialist?
A publication sent to American Express small business cardholders suggests that SEO is a waste of money.
- SEW Experts: Search Marketing Trends That Matter
Search optimization and advertising is gaining its rightful place among marketers' tools.
- Microsoft Research Lab in Cambridge Isn't Ivory Tower
Microsoft's researchers do not work in an ivory tower where basic research doesn't have a business imperative.
More from the SEW Blog
- Aches & Pains Map Shows Where It Hurts: Yahoo-Microsoft and Google
The Aches and Pains Index map graphically depicts areas of higher or lower levels of weather-related pain, but seems to fit today's search engine climate as well.
- SEW Experts: 2008: Google, Yahoo and MSN Join Together
This just in: Microsoft, Google and Yahoo have agreed to combine forces to create MicroGooHoo, a universally accessible platform to provide clearly unbiased information access points for all humanity. Or maybe not.
- Yahoo! Acquires FoxyTunes
While all eyes are still focused on Microsoft's proposed purchase of Yahoo, Yahoo has already made its first (real) acquisition of 2008 by picking up Israeli-based FoxyTunes.
- Microsoft-Yahoo: No Mention of Publisher Deals
With all the news about Microhoo, no one's mentioned how current content deals with publishers might change -- for better or worse.
- Breaking News: New Leadership at Efficient Frontier
Search engine marketing firm Efficient Frontier today appointed Ellen Siminoff chairman of the board and named president James Beriker as the new CEO and director.
- Just the First Shot
Buying Yahoo is firing the first futuristic shot in tomorrow's war; Yahoo is just the beginning for Microsoft. And the war is not for search advertising space.
- Microsoft Won't Beg or Steal; Will Borrow to Buy Yahoo
Microsoft's CFO said the company would likely borrow to pay for the cash portion of its Yahoo bid, a first in the company's history.
- Microsoft Fires Back at Google: Who's Playing Monopoly?
Microsoft fired back at Google, in essence promising to "Do No Evil" after acquiring Yahoo.
- Google Weighs in on Microhoo: It May Be Evil
"It's about preserving the underlying principles of the Internet: openness and innovation."
- Microsoft-Yahoo: All About Search, Not E-mail Assets
Tim O'Reilly views Microsoft-Yahoo as a Web 2.0 play with the combined company dominating free (Web 1.0) online e-mail services.
We report the top search marketing news daily at the Search Engine Watch Blog. You'll find more news from around the Web below.
- Search, That Was Mighty Sociable, ClickZ Experts
- Managing Your Career in Digital Advertising, ClickZ Experts
- Images In Blended Search, Ramblings About SEO
- What, Exactly, Are Google AdSense "Other" Relevancy Factors?, Search Engine Land
- Creating Firefox Quick Search Bookmarks, Sugarrae
- Diggbait, Linkbait, Flagship Content and Authority, Chris Garrett
- Is Search Marketing Different for Multinationals?, Mike Moran
- Wikimedia's 2007 Financials Posted, TechCrunch
- How Many Internet Marketers Does It Take To Change A Light Bulb?, Hubspot
- Matt McGowan Interview: Lowdown on SES New York 2008, Online Marketing Blog