We've collected all the search marketing news from selected posts to the Search Engine Watch blog in the past week, along with recent search-related headlines from around the Web.
From the SEW blog:
- SEW Experts: 7 Questions for Conducting an SEO Site Review
Mark Jackson offers tips for performing a professional site review and invites you to submit your own site for a complimentary review on SEW.
- Interview with Vanessa Fox (Her Last at Google?)
Eric Enge spoke with Fox just before she left Google about the latest developments with Google Webmaster Tools.
- adCenter Gets Click Quality Reports
Because all clicks don’t necessarily carry the same value, adCenter categorizes them as either standard quality or low quality.
- Yahoo SmartAds: Super-Targeted Display Ads
Yahoo has launched a new SmartAds display ad unit that uses behavioral, demographic and geographic targeting capabilities to create ads from submitted elements based on the user.
- Old But Not Forgotten?
With all the focus on Gen Y and even the millennials, seniors aged 65+ seem almost completely forgotten when it comes to online marketing.
- SEW Experts: Zen and the Art of Paid Search Maintenance
Tony Wright shows that discipline is the key to achieving paid search enlightenment – aka success. He provides tips for implementing some regular processes to ensure top performance from your paid search campaigns.
Linking Issues & Social Media
- Internal Link Structure Optimization
Keeping in mind that your site as a whole only has a finite amount of page rank, you need to decide how to focus it.
- SEW Experts: How Many Links Could a Link Lover Love?
Sage Lewis describes the many different ways to count and track your links. What good is link love if you don’t know how many links love you?
- Matt Cutts Offers Corporate Blogging Advice
Joining the damage control of the Google Health Blog vs. Sicko incident on Sunday, Google blogger extraordinaire Matt Cutts outlined some guidelines for company blogging 101.
Analytics & ROI
- New Call for Case Studies
If you have an interesting SEO or PPC optimization story to tell, let us know, and you may be featured in a future SEW Experts column.
- Google Gives Away FeedBurner Services
Google is now giving away TotalStats and MyBrand, which were previously only available with a FeedBurner Pro subscription.
Local & Mobile Search
- Even More Local Search Patents
Local.com has won another local search patent, this time for ad-supported 411 calls.
Vertical & Specialty Search
- Convera and SearchChannel Partnership
The relationship pairs Convera, a vertical search engine platform provider, with SearchChannel, an e-media and SEM consulting firm.
- SEW Experts: Why Should I Book My Vacation Via Your Travel Site?
Elisabeth Osmeloski tells owners and managers of travel sites how to convince every traveler that their service provides the most value. Do this well, and word of mouth marketing will kick in.
- LG, Google Developing YouTube Phone
Mobile phone manufacturer LG is working with Google to develop a mobile phone that will allow you to upload videos directly to YouTube.
Small Business/Big Brand SEM
- SEW Experts: Can You Purchase Text Links for Big Business Sites?
Aaron Shear offers some insights on purchasing text links for a big business site, and the subsequent effects.
- Google Blogger Attacks Sicko, Backtracks
A Google blogger tried to rally healthcare advertisers against Michael Moore's latest documentary, Sicko, by advising them that they should increase their presence in the search results.
In-House & Outsourcing
- SEW Experts: Enterprise SEO Project Pricing: One Size Does Not Fit All
Chris Boggs talks about the challenges of scoping an enterprise-level SEO project.
SEM Industry Issues
- Thinking About Innovation
Greg Jarboe recently spoke at a Wharton School conference on innovation. He thought he'd be the one offering the insights on search and blogging, but found that he was just part of conversation.
- Speaker Openings for SES San Jose
There are currently openings for speakers on four panels at next month's conference.
- FAST Acquires Personalization/Recommendation Technology
FAST Search & Transfer has acquired AgentArts, a San Francisco-based technology company with a personalization and recommendation engine for music, video, games and mobile entertainment.
- Google URL Parameters Cheat Sheet
Dutch SEO Joost de Valk has put together a one-page guide to the various parameters that can be appended to a Google search.
More from the SEW Blog
- Did They Really "Give It Up"?
The long-awaited live-blogged session from SMX Advanced, "Give It Up," where search marketers were meant to share their insider tricks, has now been published after a one-month embargo.
- Domain Contacts Should Not Change
ICANN has been in the process of determining the fate of domain name ownership information.
- Google et al Should Buy Australian Hosting, Financial Times Suggests
FT suggests that the big three search engines should buy local hosting companies if they want to make inroads into the Australian market.
We report the top search marketing news daily at the Search Engine Watch Blog. You'll find more news from around the Web below.
- Optimizing for Universal Search, ClickZ
- Patent Applications on Estimating, Rating, and Using Quality Scores for Google Ads, SEO by the Sea
- Traditional Companies Need Not Fear Social Media, SearchRank
- Can Web Search Use Wikipedia to Understand References to Names?, SEO by the Sea
- Here Come the Domainers, Johnon
- Why You Should Love Yahoo! Answers, Solo SEO
- Have You Set Standards for Using Your Brand Online?, Marketing Pilgrim
- Finally, I get it! I get the Wikipedia!, Bruce Clay Blog
- Google - Please Bring Back the Supplemental Results Query; It's Incredibly Valuable, SEOmoz
- Kevin Ryan Talks About the Future of Search Engine Strategies, Search Engine Roundtable
- Link Building & Determining Link Quality, Search Engine Journal
- Diversify Your Search Marketing Campaign : 11 Alternatives to Google AdWords, Search Engine Journal
- Search Engine Optimization for Universal Search - Back to Square One?, Search Engine Guide
- Social Media Marketing for B2B, Search Engine Guide