Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
SearchCast, July 18, 2006: Google Maps Jump Into Regular Google; Avast Ye
Click Pirates; Google: "We Are Idiots;" Yahoo's New Home Page, Finance & More!
Today's search podcast covers Google Maps getting mixed into regular Google; ahoy, matey, here come the click pirates to rob from the rich advertisers and give to, well, the pirates; Eric Schmidt admits to Google idiocy [but does he really believe it]; Yahoo updates its home page and Yahoo Finance; Google sends an advertiser pai relief; is your mom Googling you? and more! Tune-in by listening to this MP3 file, listening via WebmasterRadio at 11:30am Eastern and repeated at 2pm Eastern Tuesday through Friday, via our Odeo channel or through iTunes via this link (or use alternative iTunes instructions explained...
Engine Watch Server Change
About a year ago, Incisive Media purchased Search Engine Watch from Jupitermedia. Part of the purchase meant that Jupitermedia would continue to host Search Engine Watch for a year. With that time up, we're finally moving. This is a heads-up that the change is happening....
Prices Continue To Fall: Down 8.6 Percent
Fathom Online released a keyword price index update that shows keyword prices fell again quarter over quarter by 8.6 percent. Prices on average fell from $1.39 on March 31 to $1.27 on June 30. Last report also showed keyword prices dropping $1.43 at the end of 2005 to $1.39 in the first quarter of 2006, but folks blamed seasonality for the price drop. The reason for this drop? Marketers are bidding smarter says Matt McMahon, VP Marketing Services at Fathom....
Googling: Be Careful!
Andy Beal points to an article published at the Los Angeles Times named Oops, Mom Googled Me. The story is about how a mom decided to Google her daughter. What she found was an article from her daughter named "9 Tips For Surviving The Holidays At Your Republican Parents? Home" (you can see the article by scrolling down on this page)....
Pirates Making A Mockery Of The Text Ad Space
Peter Da Vanzo uncovers a disturbing practice where there are people out there clicking on ads, with the sole desire to hurt advertisers and enrich themselves....
Search Engine Powered By Google
H.D. Moore of Metasploit designed a vertical search engine using the Google API to search specifically for malware. The search engine can be found here....
Google Idiots Are Damn Smart
Spotted via Battelle, the folks running Google are a bunch of idiots! At least that is what Google's CEO, Eric Schmidt wants you to think. Schmidt remarked to reporters the other day, ?So, yes we are IDIOTS ? and please WRITE THAT DOWN.? Huh? Write it down? What does that get you? Schmidt continues, ?We have every known problem that a growth company has ? quicker?Write down all the obvious problems, we have every one of them. So we make a list of them (potential problems) and we anticipate them.? Sarcasm, personally, I think it is great. Some people may...
Marketing in Latin America
Latin America is a tempting market for search marketers, with more than 80 million users and ever increasing broadband penetration. But this market also poses unique challenges that need to be addressed for campaigns to be successful. A panel of experts discussed the search landscape in Latin America at last week's Search Engine Strategies Latino conference, and guest writer Sara Holoubek has excellent coverage of the session in today's SearchDay article, Search, The South American Way....
Content Still In Google News, Probably Via AFP's Own Partners
"Despite suit, Google News still indexing AFP content" from IDG News Service covers Agence France Press content still appearing in Google News after the company said last year that it would no longer carry AFP content, following a copyright infringement lawsuit. The problem seems to be that AFP content is distributed by other publishers, such as the New York Times....
Connecting To Google From The UK
Barry noted on Search Engine Roundtable that some people in the UK are having problems connecting to Google. I'm one of those unlucky ones, and so far, it remains a mystery to Google about what's going on....
Finance Upgrades Features & Charts
Part of the launch of the new Yahoo homepage, Yahoo has added some features to Yahoo Finance. Those features include new tools to manage charts, an improved "investors chat room" and financial video news. SearchViews explains that Yahoo "hopes to tone down the wild west atmosphere of boards by introducing a way to rate posts on a scale of 1 to 5 stars, with lower rated posts to be filtered out." Part of the upgrade includes access to adding Yahoo badges to your site, something we beta tested in mid-May....
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- China's FUD Patrol, Threadwatch
- Google rolls out click-to-play video ads [in the UK], Times Online
- Counting on Yahoo! and Google, BusinessWeek
- Why Slashdotters slashdot, Boing Boing
- Direct Navigation Advertising Matures Beyond Porn, Marketing Pilgrim
- Google Talk headsets: Sign of a new version coming?, Googling Google
- SES Latino Wrap Up, DM News
- Yahoo! UK recruits senior staff, NMA
- The History of the LED Digest, LED Digest
- Microsoft Officially Launches Live Expo in the U.S.; Beta Version Hits U.K., ResourceShelf
- Generic domain names new search engine gold mine, Miami Herald
- Blogs launch in Spanish, Dutch, Inside AdSense
- Yahoo Finance revolt . . . and user interface fatigue, Silicon Valley Watcher
- Google, the Media Network, Part 1, ClickZ
- 520 Google Domains, InsideGoogle
- The list of Google domains is very misleading, Googling Google
- Google Checkout ERROR, Dave Naylor
- ShopWiki announces $6.2m in funding, TechCrunch
- Digg to Add Sports, Swarm & Stack, TechCrunch
- Microsoft's financial reports to be reorganized, Seattle Times
- India Imposes Ban on Blogs: Your Questions Answered, Amit Agarwal
- Update on India censoring blogs, Boing Boing
- Google powers ahead with New Zealand plans, ZDNet Australia
- Understanding Commercial Intent on Search Queries, Hitwise
- Search that sounds good, Searchblog
- Dear Google Search History, Search Engine Guide
- YouTube Sued Over News Video Upload; Site?s Balancing Act, paidContent.org
- MSO (MySpace Optimization) - The New SEO, Stuntdubl
- Yahoo! Search Algorithm Moves Toward Links & Authority Sites, SEO Book