Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
- Rand & I
Rank The Best Search Blogs
Rand at SEOMoz posted his Ranking 50 Top Blogs in the Search Space, which encouraged me to finally post my list of the Search Blogs Am I Most Likely To Read In More Detail at my personal blog.
- SES San
Jose 2006 Recap
Couldn't make it to last week's monster Search Engine Strategies show in San Jose? Well, maybe next time! In the meantime, I've compiled a list of coverage from across the web, even somewhat organized into topic areas.
SearchCast, August 15, 2006: AOL Sets Off Search Privacy Crisis; Google
Webmaster Central Offers Cool Tools & Support; Yahoo Expands Site Explorer;
1,000 Pizzas For Google & More!
Today's search podcast covers AOL's release of search records and the ensuing privacy crisis that followed; Google's support for site owners enlarging into Google Webmaster Central; Yahoo's expanded Site Explorer tools; Google pushes back against click fraud estimates from third parties; 1,000 pizzas descend on Google and more!
- EFF Asks
FTC To Limit How Long AOL Can Store Search Records
The Electronic Frontier Foundation has asked the US Federal Trade Commission to investigate AOL's release of search records last week and prevent the company from storing search data for longer than two weeks....
CEO, Terry Semel, Answers Tough Questions
Search Engine Journal pulled out some serious quotes from a Fortune Magazine interview with Yahoo's CEO, Terry Semel. I'll pull out quotes, like Loren did;...
Dating Web Site Sues Google Over Porn Ads
INQ7 Network reports that the owners of Farm Data, "a respectable meeting website for farmers," is suing Google for the ads that show up for the query [farm date]. Basically, pornographic sites and sex sites come up for the term and Farm Date says that those ads are "very damaging for Farmdate's reputation." We should know the court ruling on August 24, I will keep you posted on it....
Hires Linux Coder, Andrew Morton
Andrew Morton, well known in the Linux world for coding under Linus Torvalds, has been hired to work at Google, reports News.com. Linus commented about the job in a message board posting on Aug 6th. Andrew will continue working on Linux, but Google will be paying him to do so....
Microsoft adCenter Now Live In The UK
The adCenter blog announced that Microsoft adCenter is now live, Tuesday, August 15th, in the UK. 100% of the ads served on Microsoft's properties will run adCenter ads, including MSN Search and Windows Live. Be prepared to see search volume and budget change requirements in your ad campaigns. Want to discuss with others? Join our forum thread named Microsoft adCenter Launches in the UK....
MSN, & Google Fall In Customer Satisfaction Survey
The American Customer Satisfaction Index has been released and Yahoo, MSN and Google all fell in points from last year's results.
Targeting Ads Based On Search Behavior & Privacy Issues Post-AOL
Back in 2005, I wrote about AlmondNet moving forward with showing ads to surfers across the web based on their search profiles at major search engines. The move raised big search privacy issues. Since then, AlmondNet's kept going -- along with others such as Yahoo, in mining search behavior to deliver ads beyond search results pages. Advertisers Trace Paths Users Leave on Internet from the New York Times today takes a look how Yahoo, MSN and AOL are all trying to push into the post-search ad delivery space....
Years On, Google's Trademark Usage Letters Become News Again
How long does it take the wheel to spin full circle on the internet? Apparently three years, judging from the outcry over Google's "new" move to send out trademark protection letters asking people to be careful about how they use the word Google....
Maps Gets Coupons
Hmm? How do you prove to local merchants who lack tracking software or even web sites that search converts? Coupons! That's right, the conversion tracking tool that requires no internet connection, cookies or software has come to Google Maps....
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- A better way to organize photos?, Official Google Blog
- Google Acquires Neven Vision: Adding Object and Facial Recognition Mobile Technology, SEO By The Sea
- Google Buys Neven Vision, Google Blogoscoped
- The thinking person's YouTube, News.com
- Share a YouTube video = share your friend's email with Plaxo?, Boing Boing
- Comscore: MySpace Video traffic doubled in July, TechCrunch
- Blog Search Engine Technorati's Total Third Round Raise: $10.52 Million, PaidContent.org
- Google is building an AdWords for video, MarketWatch
- Yahoo Brazil has new president, Multilingual Search Blog
- Open AdSense for Search results on your own site, JenSense
- Greg Stuart to Search for Greener CEO Pastures, ClickZ
- Jeff Ubois on Google's secret deal with UC on book scanning, Dave Winer
- Podcast transcription, revisited, Jon Udell
- Google's terrible twos, CNNMoney
- Google Sees Content Deals as Key to Growth, Wall Street Journal
- How to Purchase Text Links, Search Marketing & ROI
- The System is Smarter than the Raters, O'Reilly Radar
- Brian White, Newest Google Representative To Hit Forums, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Breaks More Ground In Advertising, The New York Sun
- Google searches for new SA office staff, My Broadband
- Study Finds Yahoo! Mail Service Vulnerable To Hacking, All Headline News
- Windows Live Search Inside Windows Live Messenger, MSN Search's Blog
- Google Updates Blogger, Google Blogoscoped
- Going I-N-T-L with the satellite imagery, Yahoo Local & Maps Blog
- "Beer Index" Added to Yahoo Japan Weather Forecast, ResourceShelf
- Google Sees Content Deals as Key to Growth, Wall Street Journal
- The Value of Content-Related Text Advertising, ClickZ
- Private Blogger Blogs Not So Secret, Micro Persuasion
- The “By” And “About” Sections Available at Ask.com's Blog & Feed Search and Bloglines Search, ResourceShelf
- Rael Dornfest Leaves O'Reilly, Oilman
- Online TV Planner/Search Firm MeeVee's Raises $8 Million, PaidContent.org
- Google Images Layout Prototype?, Google Blogoscoped
- YouTube vs Google Video, Google Blogoscoped
- Ask Yourself This...Why Not Ask?, Search Engine Guide
- How to Create Feeds for Sites That Don't Have Any, Micro Persuasion
- Mobile Search, ClickZ
- Google's Depreciation of Anchor Text, SEO Book
- Online Privacy: How To Hide Your Google Search Trails, Robin Good
- Protect your privacy from Google, Lifehacker
- Group Demands Search Engine Giants to Resist China, Game Shout
- UK MPs slam "immoral" Microsoft, Google, Yahoo stance, The Inquirer
- Google Sketchup for Star Trek Convention, Google Blogoscoped