Matt McGee posted an entry on a fairly new feature at Google Maps, that allows you to save locations for later use. He notes that Yahoo has had this feature for a while. In addition, the Google Blog has announced this feature earlier this month. I thought it would be useful to write a "how-to" save addresses at Google Maps and Yahoo Maps.
Saving Addresses on Google Maps:
(1) Go to Google Maps
(2) Sign in to Google, if you are already not signed in (link at the top right of the page)
(3) On the left hand side you should see "Recent locations" and links to the most recent places you search on. You should also see a link to "See all saved locations" under the recent locations on the left and also a link at the top right of the page to "Saved Locations."
(4) Clicking on the link will take you to a screen where you can manage your locations (add/edit/delete locations).
(5) You can also "Enable auto-saving of locations," which I believe is on by default.
(6) For more information on Google Maps Saved Locations see the help section.
Saving Addresses on Yahoo Maps:
(1) Go to Yahoo Maps (I am taking you to the beta version)
(2) Make sure you are logged in
(3) Under the "Get Maps and Directions" field for "A", if you click on the arrow down in the input box, it should show you "recent locations."
(4) To edit your recent location, in the same drop down, click on the link that says "Save/Edit Locations"
(5) You can then either clear your recent locations or manage your other locations. You can add up to 10 saved locations to Yahoo Maps.
(6) You can quickly save a location you searched on at Yahoo Maps by clicking on "Add to My Yahoo"
(7) For more information on Yahoo Maps Locations see the help section
(8) One Tip: Ten locations may not do it for you. I personally use Yahoo's MyWeb feature. I got to a specific location on Yahoo Local and click on the "Save to My Web" button. This way I can save Doctors, Restaurants, and Friends location easily. Of course, you can also add them to your Yahoo Address book.
Both Google and Yahoo have methods to send the data to your mobile phone.