Below, a recap of stories posted today to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with other items we've spotted but not blogged separately:
From The SEW Blog...
Interview on Belgian Press vs. Google News (Microsoft Next?)
Sean Daly, from Groklaw, interviewed Margaret Boribon of Copiepresse on September 28th about their copyright lawsuit against Google, which targets the use of Belgian news in Google News, and cached copies of those articles. He has posted their discussion, in English and French, as well as some commentary and analysis of the litigation, including some late breaking news involving demands made by Copiepresse for MSN, and a potential new plaintiff. I've written a brief synopsis of some of the points she raises in the interview at SEO by the Sea. Danny also talked with Margaret Boribon earlier in September....
Blogspot.com Down, Blogger Content Inaccessible
It seems like most of the morning, Google's Blogspot service that hosts Blogger blogs has been down. For example, I have been trying to access any of the various official Google blogs such as the main one here, and they all time out or return a 500 server error. The same is true for the Google Press Blog, as well as any site using the blogspot.com domain, it seems. FYI - it seems that www.blogger.com is also down....
- How To
Make Custom Search Engine With Live Search
The Live Search blog posted today tips on how to build a custom search engine that pulls pages back from sites you select. It seems very similar to when MSN Search added "Search Macros" at the end of March of this year. Yahoo Search Builder and Eureskter have similar offerings....
- New Tool
Measures Your Blog Juice
Text Link Ads has released a new fun tool named Blog Juice Calculator. You basically enter in your site/blog URL, and it tells you have juicy your site is. Search Engine Watch is a whooping 8.8, the SEW Blog is an 8.6, my search blog is a 8.3. Patrick Gavin of Text Link Ads told me, "Blog Juice calculates its score from Bloglines RSS subscriber data, Alexa rank, Technorati rank, and Technorati inlinks. It is not a perfectly accurate data tool but is fun to compare your blog to others in your vertical."...
For Educators & Become A "Google Certified Teacher"
Google has launched a special Google For Educators site with designed for teachers and educators. The site consolidates many of Google's products in one area, where each product is pitched to educators with special guidance about how it might be used by teachers and educators. If you are an educator, you can become a "Google Certified Teacher" by attending the Google Teacher Academy....
University of Wisconsin-Madison Joins Google Book Search Project
University of Wisconsin-Madison is the next university to join Google's Book Search Project. The University has one of the largest collections of historical documents and books in the US, accounting for about 7.2 million holdings. The University houses the famous Wisconsin Historical Society Library which is also part of this project. The University of Wisconsin-Madison has their release here and Google has their release here and Reuters has their article here....
Resources For Finding Statistics For Any Web Site
Rand over at SEOMoz wrote an excellent post detailing all the different resources publicly available to gather statistical data on pretty much any web site out there. He breaks down the tools into several parts including "Technical Data," "Ownership/Hosting Data," "Statistics/Popularity Data," "Search Engine Indexing Data," "Link Data," "Social Tagging Data," "Third-Party Trust Metrics," "Important Directory & Site Listings," and "Press & Media Mentions." This comprehensive list of resources is bookmark-worthy and I seriously hope Rand keeps this particular post up-to-date....
Leaves Advertisers Unable To Change Ads On Yahoo
As I reported at reported at Search Engine Roundtable twice already, Yahoo has left their search advertising customers out to dry. Advertisers and agencies are reporting they are unable to properly manage their accounts due to a 3+ day old bug in the Yahoo Search Marketing system. Email responses back to Yahoo customers state that Yahoo is aware of the problem but have "no estimated date or time frame for the issue to be resolved." One person emailed Search Engine Watch saying, "Users are unable to view the remaining balance in their accounts, nor are we able to modify or...
YouTube Overvalued & Google Transferring Wealth From Content Owners
The Web According to Ballmer from BusinessWeek has Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer questioning the value of the Google-YouTube deal and oddly warning that Google is transferring wealth away from rights holders. It's an odd statement, since that's what Microsoft wants to do as well....
Mobile Search Launches
Ask.com has launched a mobile search product at m.ask.com or mobile.ask.com. Ask Mobile is optimized for mobile devices and uses Skweezer throughout to improve readability and download speed on your mobile device. Navigating Ask Mobile was a pleasure on my Treo. You click on links, navigate to them, but especially nice is the ability to type in a number that corresponds to the link you want to navigate to....
Headlines & News From Elsewhere
- Does Google Allow AdSense Revenue Sharing?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Of YouTube, Web 2.0 and Early Adopters, Hitwise
- Digital Media Buyers Love GoogTube Merger, Ad Age
- Why copyright violations don't matter, Silicon Valley Watcher
- YouTube Community Worried by Google Deal, Associated Press
- Don't trust anyone over 3, Google Morning Silicon Valley (Google as "old school")
- Podcast: Ask.com Gets Mobile Search; Google To Certify Teachers; Microsoft Warns Content Owners About Google & More!, Daily SearchCast
- Intuit On Working With Google, Google Blogoscoped
- Google, BEA in enterprise portal mashup talks, News.com
- Google "Adjusts" Docs & Spreadsheets Reviews, Google Blogoscoped
- Report: Yahoo, Facebook not eye-to-eye yet, CNNMoney
- Yahoo's Talks With Facebook Get Bogged Down, Wall Street Journal
- Yahoo Ranks Highest For IM Services, TechWeb
- WebmasterWorld Tests Banner Ads on Forums?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Storing Music Tags In The Qloud, GigaOM
- Apple Tries Google's Click To Call, Search Engine Roundtable
- Online Advertising Can Drive Brand Awareness and Brand Association - Post 2 of 3, Hitwise
- Pssst. People are Talking... About Your Business!, ClickZ
- Mobile Ad Trend Grows , ClickZ
- How Much Money Do You Make?, TechCrunch
- Preezo Enters Online Office Race, TechCrunch
- Common Flaws in My Logic & Advice, SEO Book
- Jim Noble Dmoz, Dave Naylor