Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- More Users to See Personalized Google Results
Google has just increased the prominence of its personalization tools, including its personalized homepage and personalized search options. Beginning today, they will be turned on by default for all new users with a Google account, and some personalization options will be auto-enabled for users with existing accounts.
- Google Shares Tips on Addressing Click Quality Concerns
Google Click Quality team member Julian puts a kinder, gentler face on the mystery team by sharing a bit about what his job entails, and talking about some of the more common advertiser concerns.
- Search Seen as Most Effective by Marketers
According to the latest study from eMarketer, paid search ads were reported as the most effective tactic by 49 percent of marketers, and SEO jumped up from 33 percent to 45 percent in 2006.
- A New Local Search Product From Yahoo
Yahoo is testing a new local search product in Bangalore and New Delhi. Known as OurCity, it is a city guide-like product that brings together a bunch of Yahoo social media products like Del.icio.us, Upcoming, and Flickr.
- Yahoo Gives Tips To Improve Quality Score
In advance of Monday's implementation of its new ranking algorithm, Yahoo is sharing tips with advertisers to create ads that will work well in the new system.
- KeywordDiscovery offers free search term suggestion tool
Trellian follows Wordtracker's lead in offering a free version of their popular keyword research tools to fill the gap left by a faltering free tool from Yahoo.
- MTV Networks Demands YouTube & Google Remove Unauthorized Videos
MTVNetworks and its parent company Viacom issued a "takedown order" to Google demanding the removal of its protected content from YouTube.
- MTV/YouTube Spat Growing for Months?
Even before Google bought YouTube, there were rumblings of secret deals with content owners to create rev-share deals to avoid this kind of legal action. Apparently Viacom was not one of the providers that reached an acceptable agreement.
- ComScore, FM Team Up for Analytics Research
ComScore Networks has teamed up with John Battelle's Federated Media (FM) Publishing for a research and development initiative to come up with a way to measure audiences of blogs and community-driven sites.
- Affiliates and PPC
Are affiliates the cause of high PPC search ad costs for merchants? Many merchants are taking steps to prevent affiliate arbitrage.
- blinkx Launches Video Widget for Integrating Video Into Websites
Right now this is a neat feature for enhancing blogs and Web sites with video content, but it sure looks and feels like a base for offering contextual advertising for video.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- What Your SEO Strategist Won't Tell You, 15 Digital Marketing
- Evolution of a Search Engine, Google Blogoscoped
- Pixsta Visual Search For Shopping Sites, Read/Write Web
- Wasting Link Authority on Ineffective Internal Link Structure, SEO Book
- Google, Fox Renegotiating and Extending Advertising Deal, TechCrunch
- Quality Standards, Yahoo Publisher Network Blog
- Are User-Generated Web Sites Breaking The Search Engines' Algorithms?, Search Insider
- AdSense increases publisher earnings to $250 for new AdSense referrals, JenSense