Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- SES NY is Coming -- Plan Your Party Schedule Now
The big event is almost upon us, and the party schedule is now available.
- ZoomInfo Retools Its Business Info Search
Business information search engine ZoomInfo has retooled its offering to create a single user interface for its various products.
- Search-Related April Fools' Round-Up
The engines made their customary attempts at springtime humor, with varying success.
- Is Yahoo Underground an April Fool's Joke?
Yahoo Underground "explores America's fringe cultures with reporting brought to life with original songs and music." Is it real, or a poorly conceived joke?
- Topix Relaunches as Citizen Journalism Site
Topix is repositioning and relaunching its local news aggregation site as a citizen journalism network.
- Rich Skrenta, Google, Vertical Search
Rich Skrenta, CEO of Topix, recently offered up some strategies for beating Google. One suggestion is going vertical, a tactic being taken by many up-and-coming search companies.
- Who's Buying DoubleClick?
Last week, Microsoft was the rumored acquirer of DoubleClick's remaining businesses. This week, Google is supposedly the frontrunner.
- MSNBC takes on Yahoo News
MSNBC.com, the No. 2-ranked news Web site behind Yahoo News, is starting its first branding ad campaign this week.
- No Action for Triple X
ICANN Board members rejected the application for a new .xxx top level domain yesterday. After reading through how the board voted and their meeting commentary, I can safely report that the TLD approval process seems broken.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- About the New Orleans imagery in Google Maps and Earth, Google Blog
- Local Search: More Is Not Always Better, Search Engine Land
- How Did You Learn SEO?, SEOmoz
- Microsoft bCentral Submit It Deadline Announced, Marketing Pilgrim
- Link Bait vs Digg Bait, Online Marketing Blog
- Quintura - Are UI Innovations Enough?, Read/Write Web
- Search Tip: Audit Your Cost Data, Rimm-Kaufman Group Blog
- Evaluating Search Results and Protecting the Innocent, ClickZ
- Compete Knows How Much Time You Waste on YouTube, TechCrunch
- Cats and Mice: The Shifting Sea of Search Results, SEO Book
- Charting trends, SEO Theory
- Quantifying Lead Quality, ClickZ