Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- YellowPages.com Explains Ingenio Acquisition
Yellowpage.com CEO Charles Stubbs made a surprise appearance at ILM:07/ SES Local today to talk about AT&T's acquisition of call tracking provider Ingenio.
- Citysearch Partners with MerchantCircle
Citysearch expanded its reach to small business advertisers and added small business content to its local guides through a deal with the social media network for local businesses.
- Yahoo Europe Gets New Hire, Facing Possible Closing
Though Yahoo Europe has been given until the end of the first quarter next year to improve their numbers or face closing, their new hire of a former brand manager for BlackBerry and telephone service provider Orange shows they do not plan on going out without giving it a hard shot.
- Yahoo Fine Tuning Panama Tools, Launches Campaign Tune Up and More
Yahoo has announced some tweaks to the Panama paid search product including campaign tune up tools.
- Yahoo to Distribute Contextual Ads on PDFs
Advertisers on Yahoo's Content Match network may soon see their ads appearing alongside Adobe PDF (portable document format) documents.
- Google Using Doodles To Viral and Brand Market
A promotion to hold a competition for the Google Doodle that will adorn the Australian search results next January 26 helped push their brand in the Australian market.
- News Sites Look For More Control Over Search Listings
A number of the leading online news publishers are looking to get greater control over how and what news of theirs gets listed in search results.
- Are Your Eyes Open to the Changed Advertising Ecosystem?
Books are food for the mind. Some merit gobbling down quickly; others are to be read more slowly, nibbled at and savored. Kevin Lee's new book should be read carefully and thoughtfully, for there is a lot of nutrition for the mind between the covers.
- Organic Results Showing Many Malware Sites, Google Expunges Thousands
Seems companies using malware are starting to get good placement in the organic SERPs (search engine result pages), according to numerous reports this week.
- SEW Experts: 5 Best Reasons to Build Links In-House
It's tempting to outsource link development, but that may not be the best move for your site.
- SEW Experts: Brand Strategies for Search Marketing - Part 2
Once you convince your executives to buy your own brand terms, how do you properly manage and measure them?
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Mutually Assured Success, ClickZ
- Google Digg-Style Experiment, Googlified
- Local Search Engine Marketing: Overcoming Advertisers' 3 Fears, Convert Offline
- TMP Local Search Research, Take Two, The Kelsey Group
- Matt Booth's 2008 Predictions for The Yellow Pages Companies, Local SEO Guide
- Has Google's relationship with CitySearch changed? and other Maps insights, Mike Blumenthal
- Judy's Book Lessons Learned, Screenwerk