Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected this week's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Search Blogs Awards Voting Is On
Search Engine Journal's 2007 Search Blogs Awards have been posted, and the voting has begun.
- An Open Letter to Google Engineering: Please Slow Down a Little
We appreciate the fact that you introduce valuable new features so frequently. But please: slow down a little, and spend a bit more time on bug testing.
- Defining Search in 2007
This year could be defined by social media, blended search, or even the changes in SEO. All told, 2007 is mainly the year that search continued to mature and fit in with other marketing disciplines.
- Poor Market Less Impact On Online Marketing Of Real Estate
The subprime debacle and poor economic growth has not impacted the online marketing of real estate, at least as far as online condos sales seem to indicate.
- Facebook Search Engine: Livin' the Vida Local Online
The Facebook search engine has reached the tipping point for global brand building online.
- Google Misses the Mark with Reader Shared Items
This might make the folks at Facebook feel better about the whole Beacon privacy fiasco.
- A Look at the Top Searches of 2007
A look at the most popular, up-and-coming search terms of 2007.
- SEW Experts: 7 Tips for Training Link Developers
We all know the vital role of backlinks in search engine visibility. So how do you train your link building team?
- SEW Experts: Social Search Engine Face-off: Facebook vs. MySpace
Brand marketers need to understand whether they are missing the train, or jumping on the wrong train.
- YouTube Ads Broadcast Google Laser Targeting: RIP SEM
Google and YouTube have taken the Art of Subliminal Advertising and Science of Behavioral Targeting to new heights.
- SEW Experts: Large Enterprise SEO: CMS Duplicate Content
For large sites, CMS-created duplicate content obliterates SEO.
- SEW Experts: Google vs. the World
Round 1 goes to Google/DoubleClick and the U.S. FTC. Round 2: Will the EU strike a blow for global privacy?
- Interview with Microsoft's Mike Nichols
With Microsoft's recent set of releases, their new video search engine was unveiled for the first time.
- Try A Little Social Media In 2008
Make a resolution: Try participating in social media next year. While your site remains important, your visitors aren't only finding you through typical search engines.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Defining Success: How to Set Web Goals for 2008, ClickZ News
- GPhone To Debut In February?, TechCrunch
- Digg Traffic Has Questionable Value For Most Niche Publishers, Publishing 2.0
- EU: Microsoft's Last Stand Against Google's Acquisition of DoubleClick
- Out With the Old, ClickZ Experts
- Two Search Budgets for One Business?, ClickZ Experts
- Analysis of Kayak.com and Sidestep.com Merger, Compete Blog
- 2007= The Year of Facebook, SEO Chicks
- Rubber Chicken Award - (aka The Columbo) Top 10 Finalists - Vote now, Understanding Google Maps & Yahoo Local Search
- Top 3 Problems of Social Media, GrokDotCom
- A Few Guiding Principles for when you're new to Web Analytics Management, Web Analytics Demystified
- Send Me Your Search Predictions for 2008, Cartoon Barry
- AdSense inspiration, Inside AdSense
- A Post-Google Fraternity of Investors, NY Times
- Predict This! 2008 is going to be…, Metamend
- 10 marketing resolutions for 2008, Church of the Customer
- 2008 Web Predictions, Read/Write Web