Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Yahoo CEO Says They Want To Become Internet's Indispensable Starting Point
Jerry Wang outlined his vision of Yahoo's future as the "internet's indispensable starting point" at CES.
- Wikia Search: Wikia Dream? Or SEO Wake-Up Call?
Wikia Search is a project to *build* a search engine, not a completed search engine. So the comparison to Google on day one is just mistaken.
- How Will Wikia Grow The Index?
We would be interested in knowing the game plan for developing a substantial index over time. It's not just about numbers, although a billion or two could help with a 2009 launch.
- Wikia Search Requires Your Help
Right now, Wikia is more concept than reality. The plan is to apply collaborative tools to build a better search engine than Google.
- SEW Experts: Increase ROI: Google Performance Placement Reports
Google's new Placement Performance report can help you fine-tune your content campaigns to make sure you're getting the most out of your ads.
- China Limits Video, Audio Podcasts To State Run Sites
The Chinese government plans to restrict all video and audio content on sites starting next month.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- How 2007's Key Search Trend Will Impact 2008, ClickZ Experts
- Why SEOs Will Kill Wikia Search, Marketing Pilgrim
- What Does 2008 Have In Store For Local?, Search Engine Land
- Googler's Bet Goobles On Predictive Markets During Their Free Lunch, Search Engine Land
- Video: Flipping the 80/20 Business Rule, Search Engine Guide
- Google on Reading Text in Images from Street Views, Store Shelves, and Museum Interiors, SEO by the Sea
- What Was the Most Improved PPC Program in 2007?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Why SEMPO is Worse than the Defunct Search Marketing Associations, SEO Book
- Is Google Knol Really a Wikipedia Rival?, Bill Hartzer
- Why Can't Google Be More Like Ask.com?, SearchRank
- 2008 The year of Reputation Management?, Endless Plain
- Prediction Markets at Google, Battelle's SearchBlog
- Search Spend Laps Display Advertising, Alchemist Media
- Clix Marketing's Favorite PPC Blogs, Clix Marketing
- Queen Of Links - Debra Mastaler Interview, LinkJuicy
- My plea to Google - Please sanitize your REP revamps, Sebastian's Pamphlets
- 8 AdSense resolutions for 2008, Inside AdSense