One of the sessions that you won't want to miss is Open Mic: SEW Black Hat White Hat Unconferenced. Search engines provide guidelines to protect their algorithms and the integrity of their results. But these are not laws - they are what they are - guidelines. Do we really have to stick to them? What if we find a loophole or two and we can get better results if we go under the wire? Of course, that would mean only some of us were playing by the perceived rules. And the likelihood is that, the white hat practitioners may find a black hat standing on their head and pushing them down the charts. And with search and social being strongly tied together there are so many more creative ways to circumnavigate the guidelines. Should anyone care anymore whether it's black hat or white hat to get results? This unique unconferenced session features no formal presentations. All you need to participate is a glass of your favourite beverage in your hand.
Open Mic: SEW Black Hat White Hat Unconferenced session
There are plenty of other sessions that you'll want to consider attending.
For example, there are beginner sessions like:
- Introduction to Search Engine Marketing -- This session will provide a clear and concise overview of the key concepts involved in Search Engine Marketing. Who are the major search engines and how can you best optimize them to gain "natural" or "organic" traffic without cost? Learn how to achieve top ranking or placement by utilizing search engine advertising opportunities. This is a must-attend basic session for anyone new to the Search Engine Strategies event.
- Link Building Basics -- Discover how search engines rely on link analysis as an important component for ranking web pages. You will also learn how to increase traffic to your site by building quality links in an appropriate manner.
- Introduction to Paid Search -- Paid placement is a form of search advertising that provides a top ranking in return for payment. Every major search engine offers a paid placement program. Learn what's available in this informative session that is especially geared toward beginners, including details on programs from major providers and advice on how to succeed.
There are intermediate sessions like:
- Video Search Optimisation -- According to comScore, YouTube is now the #2 search destination in the world. While the good old organic results pages still attract tens of thousands of experts probing the latest algorithmic quirks and optimisation techniques, video search remains relatively uncharted waters. Panelists discuss the importance of optimising for video search, and probe into tactics like keyword research, copywriting, reputation enhancement, and sponsorships and special programs.
- Twitter Nation & Automation -- Within the dramatically expanding social network space, Twitter has become everybody's darling ever since major companies like Dell publicized how many millions of dollars they are actually making via this 140-characters-is-enough micro blogging platform. Of course, the real question is how to bring your message across this huge stream of endless tweets and how to actually be heard in an ocean of white noise without breaking the bank. Obviously, automation is key here -- but it does require a lot of insight into the actual mechanics of Twitter in general and online conversations in particular: which automation tools to use? How can you prevent getting your account banned? Treading the fine line between ripping success and utter failure -- it's about the right kind of credible interaction. Learn why subtle, "suggestive marketing" works best on Twitter -- and how to automate that effectively, too. Plus, learn effective strategies to outpace your competitors.
- Site Clinics -- These interactive sessions take volunteers from the audience and examines their web sites live to provide general feedback about improving them to gain more traffic from search engines.
And there are advanced sessions like:
- Deep Dive into Analytics: When Bounce Rate No Longer Floats Your Boat -- Once you have the fundamentals of Web Analytics under control it's time to take the next step into Deep Dive Analytics. It's all about answering specific business questions using your web analytics data to drive tactical and strategic decision making. This session will provide you with all of the essentials to get down and dirty with your data.
- Advanced Paid Search Tactics -- Your campaigns are performing OK. How to take them to the next level? Advanced PPC tactics can actually be more fun than basic ones, because you get to activate both left and right brain power, tapping into your own unique aptitudes as well as your customers' deepest desires. This session will cover campaign expansion techniques, advanced ad testing, advanced auction theory, the proper use of relevant analytics reports, ideas for bid rules and campaign automation including automating the detection of PPC scam campaigns that can divert traffic away from the legitimate brand site and increase campaign costs.
- Duplicate Content & Multiple Site Issues -- More and more site owners are concerned that they might get penalized accidentally or overtly because of duplicate content. If you run mirror sites, will search engines ban you? If you have listings that are similar in nature, is that an issue? What happens if you syndicate content through RSS and feeds? Will other sites be considered the "real" site and rob you of a rightful place in the search results? This session looks at the issues and explores solutions.
Now, I could tell you three key reasons why you should attend SES London 2011, but I should disclose that SES is a client of my agency. So, check out what attendees of SES London 2010 tell you what they thought of that event.
The upcoming SES London will be held 22-24 Feb. 2011. It's moving to The Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre, Broad Sanctuary, London.