The articles below appeared in the Search Engine Update newsletter and have important information not yet added to the pages about Yahoo. Please review them to find out about any new developments. Further below, you will also find a list of past articles about Yahoo that may be of interest.
- Changes As MSN & Yahoo, 2/04
- Google, Yahoo Add New Search Features, 1/04
- Yahoo To Buy Overture, 7/03
- Yahoo's Search Engine Continues Evolving, 5/03
- SearchDay - Yahoo Moves to Revitalize Search, 4/03
Also see the bottom of the page for non-Search Engine Watch articles that cover recent developments that may be of interest.
Yahoo provides users with listings that come from a variety of data sources. Yahoo's search results page is dominated by editorial listings that come from Google. However, paid placement ads from Overture are offered and options to see Yahoo's own human-powered results are also present. In addition, Yahoo may direct users to its own portal content, such as the Yahoo Full Coverage or Yahoo Shopping areas.
The pages listed below will explain how to appear in the major data sources that Yahoo uses for its search results. If you are new to Yahoo, it's highly recommended to read all the pages in the Essential Reading section. The pages listed under Other Information provide additional help
Unless noted, these pages cover the main Yahoo.com site, which is primarily aimed at those searching for sites in the United States or for English-language sites that appeal to a worldwide audience. Some limited information about non-US editions of Yahoo does appear on the Yahoo Country Sites page.
Finally, if you are reading these pages before Oct. 14, 2002, you may notice some small typos on them. Given Yahoo's recent changes, I wanted to integrate all the new information and post them as quickly as possible. I expect to finish fully proofing the pages by Oct 14.
- Web Matches
Explains how Yahoo gets the main "Web Matches" results displayed on its search results page.
- Sponsor Matches
Explains how to have a top ranking at in the "Sponsor Matches" area of Yahoo's search results page.
- The Yahoo Directory
Explains how Yahoo has its own human-compiled "directory" of web sites and how being in the Yahoo Directory can help you be found via the Category Matches area of Yahoo's search results page.
- Submitting To The Yahoo Directory
If you decide to get a Yahoo Directory listing, this page explains how to submit correctly.
- Yahoo Sponsor Listings
Explains how to be listed at the top of a category page through payment, after you've been accepted into the Yahoo Directory.
- Changing Your Listing In The Yahoo Directory
Explains how to change a listing once it has been accepted into the Yahoo Directory.
- Resubmitting To The Yahoo Directory & Multiple Categories
What to do if you got rejected, never got listed or would like to be listed in more than one category.
- Inside Yahoo
Explains two important ways you might show up within this section, via Yahoo Full Coverage and Yahoo Shopping.
- Yahoo Country-Specific Sites
A few tips on some major non-US sites run by Yahoo.
- Yahoo To Buy Inktomi, 1/02
- Yahoo Renews With Google, Changes Results, 10/02
- Yahoo To Go With Google?, 9/02
- European Search Engine News, 8/02
- Letter From Sydney, 6/02
- Yahoo Backdoor, 6/02
- Overture Wins Yahoo, What Will Happen With Google?, 5/02
- Yahoo Now Charging Annual Listing Fee, 1/02
- Yahoo Expands Paid Placement Listings, 11/01
- Yahoo Changes Results, 10/01
- Yahoo Increases Submission Price, 9/01
- Yahoo Promotes Shopping, 3/01
- Yahoo Sponsored Listings Warning, 3/01
- Yahoo Gets Paid Listings, 2/01
- Yahoo Drops Free Submit For Commercial Categories, 11/00
- Yahoo Publishes Top Searches, 11/00
- Breaking The News Barrier, 8/00
- Yahoo Partners With Google, 7/00
- Yahoo Changes Listings, 5/00
- Google Announces Largest Index, 7/00
- Good For Google Does Not Equal Bad For Inktomi, 7/00
- About.com No Longer Poster Child For Yahoo Abuse, 3/00
- Yahoo Business Express Expanded, 11/99
- Does Yahoo Own You?, 7/99
- Lycos Transforms Into Directory, 5/99
- Submitting Via Yahoo's Business Express, 3/99
- Yahoo Opens Express Submission Service, 3/99
- Yahoo To Buy GeoCities, 2/99
- Yahoo Listing Support Address Available, 1/99
- Shopping Search Round-Up, 12/98
- Yahoo Considers Express Submission Service,10/98
- Excite, Yahoo Debut Community Areas, 9/98
- Mining Co. Ads Play Up Yahoo Exclusion, 7/98
- Yahoo Spruces Up, 6/98
- Three's Company: LookSmart and Snap Challenge Yahoo, 6/98
- Inktomi Picked By Yahoo, Snap, 6/98
- Life After Yahoo Discussion, 4/98
- Yahoo Adds Instant Messaging, 3/98
- Mining Company Illustrates Yahoo Limits, 1/98
- Fake Yahoo "Award" Message Scam, Virus Scare, 1/98
- Shopping Search Comes To Excite, Yahoo, 12/97
- Yahoo Gets E-Mail, Four11, 11/97
- GTE Files Federal Suit Over Yahoo-Related Listing, 11/97
- Yahoo Root URL Rumor False, 10/97
- Netscape, Yahoo Under Fire Over Guide Listings, 9/97
- Yahoo and Visa Form New Partnership, 8/97
- Yahoo Special Report, 9/97
Yahoo's made a variety of changes to its crawler-based news search beta service.
Yahoo CEO Terry Semel tells conference attendees to expect Yahoo to make all types of content searchable.
Yahoo Branching Out its Search Roots
InternetNews.com, Aug. 21, 2003
Recaps where Yahoo plans to head in search, in particular how it hopes to integrate search into the overall portal experience it provider.