The Search Agency is keeping score with its latest research on Fortune 100 companies and their adoption of mobile best practices. The agency has released a scorecard that compares what some of the biggest brands are doing (or not doing) when it comes to delivering a mobile experience for users.
What they found was that no one company in the Fortune 100 received a perfect score of 5, but brands with the top scores included:
- Coca-Cola and FedEx tied in with a score of 4.49
- TIAA-CREF and Walgreens tied with a score of 4.24
- Liberty Mutual with a score of 4.19
The average score for all companies in the study was 2.31 out of 5.
The Search Agency measured the Fortune 100 mobile practices against five factors:
- Load speed.
- Calculated download speed.
- The site's format.
- Presence of an app.
- Social media presence.
That created a scorecard that looked something like this:
Here's a sampling of the Fortune 100 brands that ranked the highest in The Search Agency's scorecard:
Surprisingly, many of the brand's websites had slow load times – much slower than Google's recommendation of sites loading in one second or less for the mobile experience.
The Search Agency offered several tips in its report for delivering a stellar mobile experience, which included:
- Upholding your brand by carrying over the visually significant elements of it from the desktop site to the mobile site.
- Focusing the message by placing the most essential information at the top of the page, because this is where viewers spend the majority of their time.
- Consider using responsive web design as it allows a single, dynamic site which allows traffic, authority, and link value to be consolidated to one site and easily sorted, tracked, and measured through popular analytics packages.
- Optimize navigation with touch-friendly buttons and links.
- Segment pages with granularity.
- Use breadcrumbs, filters, and jump links to improve user experience.
- Use large fields to help users more easily see and fill in questionnaires to impact completion rate.
For more information on The Search Agency's Fortune 100 mobile scorecard, go here.
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Register today!