Let's be honest, who doesn't suffer from a bit of the inner geek? I know that I certainly do (sshhh)! Fear no more, YouTube is giving us the opportunity to release our beloved internal gremlin and is setting aside a week of spotlighted geek-themed programming.
Geek Week will take place from August 4-10, and will include talent from some of YouTube's popular channels such as Felicia Day's "Geek & Sundry".
"From 'Game of Thrones' and 'The Big Bang Theory' to 'Harry Potter' and 'The Avengers', geek culture is everywhere, attracting and connecting ever-expanding audiences. Today's obsession with all-things-geek has sparked a global community on YouTube, enabling fans around the world to express their love of superheroes, comics, gaming, science and sci-fi.
"With more than half of our top 20 non-music channels dedicated to geek culture, YouTube has become a top destination for fans everywhere to create, share and watch geek content." said Danielle Tiedt, chief marketing officer at YouTube.
The celebration will be broken down by themed days in an effort to cater to niche audiences. These include:
- Blockbuster Sunday: A celebration of the iconic characters, movies, and shows that define geek culture – plus a spotlight on the best original YouTube sci-fi, fantasy and animation. Hosted by FreddieW.
- Global Geekery Monday: Anime from Tokyo, comic-book heroes from Delhi and a celebration of Doctor Who. Explore geek culture from around the world. Hosted by YOMYOMF.
- Brainiac Tuesday: Science, education and knowledge channels that make YouTube the world's biggest platform for learning. Hosted by Veritasium and The Spangler Effect.
- Super Wednesday: From hilarious parodies to real-life super-powers, explore superheroes, the supernatural and the super-weird. Plus, released exclusively for Geek Week, the trailer for "Marvel's Thor: The Dark World". Hosted by Stan Lee's World of Heroes.
- Gaming Thursday: A gamer's paradise, with live play-throughs, videogames in real life, game-inspired original series and much more. Hosted by Machinima and Maker Studios' Polaris.
- Fan Friday: Sci-fi-themed cooking, incredible cosplay and impassioned nerd debates as YouTube's biggest fans take center-stage. Hosted by Geek and Sundry.
"We have a lot of heavy YouTube viewing in August, especially amongst the 'Gen C' community so this really is an opportunity to engage with our audience," says Tiedt.
Produced in conjunction with geek powerhouse Nerdist, Geek Week will showcase more than 100 channels that fans love, unveiling new videos, series premieres and creative collaborations, as well as highlighting some of the best geek videos and shows already on YouTube.
This article was originally published on ClickZ.
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates available through Sept 12. Register today!