The YouTube team is updating partner eligibility across 20 countries where the YouTube Partner Program has been launched. Content creators in these countries can become YouTube partners by enabling their YouTube accounts, and monetizing at least one of their videos.
Uploaders who are interested in becoming a partner should start by reviewing the YouTube Partner Program FAQs.
YouTube launched a pilot of its Partner Program in 2007 enabling some of the most popular and prolific original content creators within the YouTube community to earn money from their videos. Today, there are more than 30,000 partners in 27 countries around the world.
YouTube partners are already producing videos that draw large and loyal audiences while building careers for themselves, including:
- Lisa Lavie, who used to spend every dime she had on expensive studio sessions for a seemingly-impossible music career. That all changed in 2007, when she decided to upload her first song to YouTube. Over the years, Lavie has inspired millions around the world through her sultry, passionate voice and music – all by herself, on her own terms.
- Ryan Higa is one of the most-subscribed YouTube Partners with over 5.2 million subscribers. Higa’s success on YouTube inspired him to transition from a science major to a film major in college, which he continues to this day.
- Lauren Luke is a makeup guru and teacher from Newcastle upon Tyne. What began as an effort to make friends evolved into a real career in online makeup tutorials and stylings. Just four-and-a-half years after her first upload, Luke has amassed millions of fans.
According to YouTube, partner revenue has more than doubled for four years in a row. YouTube pays out millions of dollars a year to partners and hundreds of partners are making six figures a year.
The latest changes to partner eligibility went into effect late last week in the following countries: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United States. And YouTube plans to make it more broadly available in seven more countries where the Partner Program has been launched.
To help partners score their next million subscribers or just want to learn about the best times to upload videos, YouTube provides a number of resources, including:
- Creator Clubs: There are Creator Clubs to network and collaborate with other creators in Asia, Europe, and North America. And there will be Partner Meetups to learn new skills directly from YouTube staff and experts soon.
- Creator Playbook 2: Version 2 of YouTube’s Creator Playbook is the latest compilation of important tips, best practices, and strategies to build greater audiences on YouTube.
- Creators on the Rise: The On the Rise Program offers high potential up-and-coming partners with homepage, editorial and social media promotion.
- Next Vlogger: A few weeks ago, YouTube asked partners which category to add to its NextUp program. They overwhelmingly selected Next Vlogger. Participants will receive one-on-one training from YouTube stars and industry leaders like iJustine, video equipment valued at $5,000, and global promotion on and off the YouTube.
- Partner Promotion: Certain creators who were partners prior to April 10, 2011, may be eligible to receive free advertising on the Google Display Network.
- YouTube Features: Whether partners need to improve their production quality or want to create fun videos, they can use YouTube’s growing toolset to make their videos.
In an update to their blog post on the YouTube Creator Blog, the YouTube team added, “We also recognize that custom thumbnails and banners are sought-after features by many creators. We are working on making these and other features available to more newly-made partners over time, like we have done with long uploads and monetization.”
ClickZ Live San Francisco (Aug 11-14) will bring together the industry's leading online marketing practitioners to deliver 4 days of educational sessions and training workshops. From Data-Driven Marketing to Social, Mobile, Display, Search and Email, the comprehensive agenda will help you maximize your marketing efforts and ROI. Register today!