SEO News
Search

U.S. Search Engine Rankings, December 2007

by , Comments

The year closed with Google holding 58.4 percent share of searches, slightly lower than the previous month, according to December 2007 U.S. search engine rankings data released by comScore.

Yahoo (22.9 percent) and Microsoft (9.8 percent) had a combined share of searches of 32.7 percent, still not approaching Google if the proposed deal between Microsoft and Yahoo goes through. Yahoo gained half a percentage point in share and Microsoft stayed the same from November to December. In the same period, Google's share of searches receded 0.02 percent.

U.S. Core Searches by Search Engine, December 2007
Core Search Entity November 2007 (%) December 2007 (%) Point Change
Total core search 100.0 100.0 0.0
Google sites 58.6 58.4 -0.2
Yahoo sites 22.4 22.9 0.5
Microsoft sites 9.8 9.8 0.0
Time Warner network 4.5 4.6 0.1
Ask network 4.6 4.3 -0.3
Note: Data are based on the five major search engines, including partner searches and cross-channel searches. Searches for mapping, local directory, and user-generated video sites that aren't on the core domain of the five search engines aren't included in the core search numbers.
Source: comScore, 2008

In December, U.S. Internet users conducted a total 9.6 billion search queries, down 3.9 percent from the month before. All core search providers, including Google (-4.3 percent); Yahoo (-1.7 percent); Microsoft (-4.5 percent); AOL (-2.6 percent); and Ask.com (-10.3 percent), experienced a drop in the number of searches served.

ComScore's QSearch data are based on an opt-in global panel of over 2 million consumers. The panel is observed for browsing and transactional behavior and participates in survey research to capture attitudes.

U.S. Core Search Queries by Search Engine, December 2007
Core Search Entity November 2007 (M) December 2007 (M) Percent Change (%)
Total core search 10,030 9,636 -3.9
Google sites 5,882 5,629 -4.3
Yahoo sites 2,249 2,211 -1.7
Microsoft sites 984 940 -4.5
Time Warner network 453 442 -2.6
Ask network 463 415 -10.3
Note: Data are based on the five major search engines, including partner searches and cross-channel searches. Searches for mapping, local directory, and user-generated video sites that aren't on the core domain of the five search engines aren't included in the core search numbers.
Source: comScore, 2008

U.S. Expanded Search Queries by Search Engine, December 2007
Expanded Search Entity November 2007 (M) December 2007 (M) Percent Change (%)
Total expanded search 13,907 13,523 -2.8
Google sites 7,326 7,165 -2.2
Google 5,923 5,651 -4.6
YouTube/all other 1,403 1,514 7.9
Yahoo sites 2,395 2,363 -1.3
Yahoo 2,358 2,326 -1.4
All other 37 37 0.0
Microsoft sites 984 963 -2.1
MSN Windows Live 947 927 -2.1
Microsoft/all other 37 36 -2.7
Time Warner network 838 784 -6.4
AOL 445 434 -2.5
MapQuest/all other 393 350 -10.9
eBay 489 508 3.9
Ask network 464 416 -10.3
Ask.com 263 238 -9.5
MyWebSearch.com/all other 201 178 -11.4
Fox Interactive Media 436 350 -19.7
MySpace 427 342 -19.9
All other 9 8 -11.1
Craigslist.org 207 220 6.3
Amazon sites 178 215 20.8
Facebook 119 102 -14.3
Source: comScore, 2008


The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES AtlantaSES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates available through Sept 12. Register today!

Recommend this story

comments powered by Disqus