We've collected all the search marketing news from selected posts to the Search Engine Watch blog in the past week, along with recent search-related headlines from around the Web.
From the SEW blog:
- SEW Experts: SEO and User Experience Fusion
So, you want to build a Web site. Do you start with Web 2.0 goodies, or a "visually appealing" Web site that "meets the needs of the business?"
- Will Accessibility Become Mandatory?
While more search marketers are becoming aware of usability and accessibility concerns, the numbers are still very small. A class-action lawsuit filed in California has the potential to change that, and require Web sites to comply with accessibility laws.
- Matt Cutts Interview
Eric Enge recently sat down with Matt Cutts, Google spam-fighter extraordinaire.
- Nielsen: Search Ads Score Low on Trust
A recent study from the Nielsen Company found that word of mouth was the most trusted form of advertising worldwide, while search ads are more trusted than only banner ads and text ads on cell phones.
- Are Your Media Efforts Making a Mess of Your PPC Campaigns?
A consistent focus on coordinating your paid search with other media efforts can yield great dividends for a savvy marketer. How difficult that will be depends on the complexity of your non-search media plan.
- Google AdSense for Video
Video Units allow publishers to incorporate YouTube videos onto their site, while monetizing them through the AdSense program.
- Yahoo Panama Morphing Into Google
Yahoo is changing to the max bid and quality score method of bid pricing in Sweden. Is Yahoo starting to look a lot like Google's little brother?
Linking Issues & Social Media
- Google Buys Social Messaging Vendor Jaiku, Where Is This Leading?
Google has purchased a social instant messaging company, Jaiku, though how it is planning on using it is being kept secretive.
- SEW Experts: Solving the Link Building Puzzle: Do or Die.
Link building is a puzzle all search marketers are trying to solve.
Analytics & ROI
- SEW Experts: Getting a Jump on the Business Intelligence Imperative
There's gold in all that business intelligence you possess, and it's the key to besting your competitors.
- SEW Experts: The Tarot of Search Engines: Demographic Data Divining
What if you could gauge a company's marketing strategies by delving into Internet statistics?
Local & Mobile Search
- Google Earth Moves Out of the Silent Era
YouTube videos continue to get more and more portable as Google integrates them into other search products, and approaches a semblance of return on the $1.65 billion it paid for the video site.
- For Teens, Mobile Search Doesn’t Register Yet
Mobile phones have become teens' lifelines, by helping them to stay connected, providing a source of entertainment and enabling them to multitask. One activity they aren’t using their phones for much is searching.
- Local Search and Universal Search
There are still some triggering issues with Google's integration of local and universal search.
- SEW Experts: Voice Search: Mobile Tactic Here. Now. 2DAY.
Mobile has long been called marketers' next emerging opportunity. So, from a local search standpoint, how do you prepare for the opportunity?
- ReachLocal Scores $55M Funding
The local search fulfillment agency offers advertisers packages of local ads from Google, Yahoo, MSN, Superpages and others, sold through its own local sales forces.
- GPhone a Linux-based Mobile OS?
While rumors of a mobile device in the works by Google pop up every few weeks, those speculators may be off the mark.
Vertical & Specialty Search
- Expect More Finger Pointing on Copyright Protection for Video
Last week, Peter Chernin, president and COO of News Corp, said that Google "could do a better job" at preventing illegally copied video from appearing on its YouTube site.
- Blinkx Showing Google How To Monetize YouTube
Blinkx launched a method for providing contextual ads that go along with the video content embedded on a site.
- LiveDeal, the Latest to Blend Local Search and Video
Local search and classifieds site LiveDeal announced today that it will integrate video content in its listings.
- Ask.com Providing Celebrity Search Info For Entertainment Tonight
Ask.com are sponsoring "celebrity search" on the Entertainment Tonight TV show.
Small Business/Big Brand SEM
- SEW Experts: How to Avoid Seasonal Search Ranking Wreckage
Search engine traffic is always unpredictable. From algo updates playing havoc with organic rankings to quality score changes flummoxing your paid listings. The impact of these changes are especially critical around the holidays.
In-House & Outsourcing
- Building A Search Team
Picking members of your search marketing team is like picking the right keywords. There are pitfalls and setbacks, but with the right knowledge and a good methodology you can be successful.
- SEW Experts: How to Avoid Hiring a Bad SEO
Do you know the tell tale signs of an inept search engine optimizer or SEO company trying to pull a fast one?
SEM Industry Issues
- SEW Experts: The Year Search Makes Contact With Everything
2007 will go down as the year we were bombarded with everything we want and a whole bunch of things nobody wants.
- Google's Ajax Search API
The Ajax APIs are one of those services from Google that does not get the attention it deserves.
- AP Examines Growth Directions Of Major Search Engines
The AP sees the retention times of the engines to be declining - with the exception of Google - and that all of them are reaching out to vertical portals and other means of grabbing larger audience share.
- SEW Experts: Machines in Translation: Do MT Engineers Dream of Selectric Sheep?
The battle for search engine supremacy in machine translation rages on.
More from the SEW Blog
- Yahoo's Sale Of Overture Japan Questioned
The price of $13 million seems low, and the decision to sell the PPC engine of the largest search engine in Japan seems interesting.
We report the top search marketing news daily at the Search Engine Watch Blog. You'll find more news from around the Web below.
- Effective Keyword SEO Research, Part 1, ClickZ
- 1,200 Marketers Can’t Be Wrong: The Future Is in Consumer Behavior, NY Times
- Google/DoubleClick In Europe: Yahoo Says Deal Will Hike Display Ad Rates; Privacy Doesn’t Concern EU, paidContent
- Subscriber Stats, Summed Up, Google Reader Blog
- AOL Layoffs Letter From CEO Randy Falco, BoomTown
- Small Businesses Need Helping Hand to Embrace Web Advertising, ClickZ
- How to Use Customer Reviews to Increase Conversion, ClickZ
- In-House vs. Outsourced SEM: The CMO's Guide, ClickZ
- Social networks are no place for control freaks, Information World Review
- Survey: ‘Local Search’ Broader than ‘Google’, The Kelsey Group
- Confirmed: Yahoo expanding to Microsoft's backyard, Todd Bishop's Microsoft Blog
- 9 Common Mistakes in Landing Page and PPC Campaign Design, Performancing
- 5 Basic Questions To Ask Your Local SEM, Convert Offline
- A conversation with Avinash Kaushik, Web Analytics Guru, Software Abstractions
- Social Media Marketing Campaign Process, RB Digital Rodeo
- Keyword Research + Research on Keywords = Better ROI, SEO Speedwagon
Optimising Digital Marketing Campaigns with Search, Social and Analytics
At SES London (9-11 Feb) you'll get an overview of the latest tools, tips, and tactics in Paid, Owned, Earned, Integrated Media and Business Intelligence to streamline your marketing campaigns in 2015. Register by 31 October to take advantage of Early Bird Rates.