We've collected all the search marketing news from selected posts to the Search Engine Watch blog in the past week, along with recent search-related headlines from around the Web.
From the SEW blog:
- 'Knol' - Google Unit of Knowledge - Expert Authors Gathering
Seems Google has turned its eyes on the Wikipedia space and has a spin that may get a lot of attention from knowledgeable authors.
- SEW Experts: SEO Hell, a CMS Production
Large scale Web sites with a content management system (CMS) face different SEO problems than smaller Web sites.
- SEW Experts: What's in a (Domain) Name? Take 2
As much as some people would like to have the industry more regulated and standardized, SEO is both art and science. The art part includes opinion.
- It's All in the Links
According to Matt Cutts, it really doesn't make much difference to Google whether you choose subdomains or subdirectories for your site.
- AdSense Introduces Ad Review Center
Google has added the ability for publishers to preview the ads that will run on their sites and to block those they don't want to appear.
- What's Old Is New Again
There's a hot new ad unit that all the search marketers are talking about: banner ads.
- SEW Experts: Brand Strategies for Search Marketing - Part 3
Eric Qualman explores the intricacies of the ongoing maintenance/optimization of your brand search terms.
- AdWords Editor 5.0 Having Problems
Seems there are some minor install problems with the latest version of AdWords Editor.
- SEW Experts: Content Advertising Best Practices in Action
In previous columns, David Szetela advocated turning off your content ad campaigns. Now he puts together all of the best practices he's shared in an example of a campaign that will finally perform, equipping you to turn your new and improved content campaigns back on.
Linking Issues & Social Media
- SEW Experts: Link Building: DIY In-House vs. Outsourced
A white hot debate started last week when Justilien Gaspard presented five reasons to take link building in-house.
- Putting the "Social" in Social Media Marketing
Reaching out to bloggers and building a relationship with them can go a long way in improving your social media efforts, your search ranking, and your overall marketing plan.
- Facebook Applications and Promoting Your Site
One of the interesting frontiers in the market today is the role that widgets and/or Facebook Applications (and soon OpenSocial applications) can play in your overall marketing strategy.
Local & Mobile Search
- SEW Experts: Online Video Finds Local Search
How should local business and national advertisers selling locally think about incorporating video and video search into their ad arsenals?
- SEW Experts: Local Search Lead Gen: Yellowpages.com Ingenio-us Strategy
Late last month, AT&T purchased pay-per-call search platform and advertising network Ingenio. What does this mean for AT&T Yellow Pages and, more importantly, Yellowpages.com?
- Google Mobile Search G-Force: Android Trojan Horse?
Is the Google Android software stack Google's gift to the telcos, or a Trojan Horse?
- Microsoft Acquires UK Mapping Provider
Microsoft significantly expanded its mapping capabilities in Europe with the acquisition of Multimap.
- SEW Experts: Google Mobile Search Gamble: Everybody Wins?
If you had billions of dollars lying around, what would you do with it? Google has billions, and has turned its attention to the upcoming FCC auction for Spectrum 700-MHz.
Vertical & Specialty Search
- Newsknife ranks top news sites in Google News for 2007
Newsknife has just produced a ranking of the Top News Sites of 2007, based on its study of the listings of over 3,800 news sites in Google News through the past year.
- Online TV forecast sees huge growth ahead
New research by Informa Telecoms and MediaSome forecasts 38.4 million homes worldwide will receive TV via the Internet by 2012.
Small Business/Big Brand SEM
- SEW Experts: Social Media for SEM Savvy Small Biz Owners
Social media campaigns and traffic generally have lower conversion rates -- especially from sites like Digg, StumbleUpon, and Reddit. A huge percentage of visitors from those sites will never buy anything. The challenge, then, is monetizing the traffic.
In-House & Outsourcing
- SEW Experts: Search Engines, Silos, SES Solutions
Not long ago, it was easier to justify the existence of disparate marketing functions, each working within its own domain. Today, consumers move between touch points with ease and expect consistent and meaningful messages to be delivered on their terms.
SEM Industry Issues
- The Human Equation: Giving Back Internet Style at SES Chicago
The World Wide Web has changed how we do everything, including (potentially) the way we give back to our community. But, what do nonprofit organizations look like in the Web 2.0 world?
- Interview with Microsoft's Grad Conn
A detailed look at the unique nature of Health Related searches.
More from the SEW Blog
- CSI Google Could Be New TV Show
Seems a Google satellite camera may help with information in a murder investigation in Australia.
- Yahoo Finance Partners With CNBC
In another move geared toward building their niched portal/community efforts, Yahoo has partnered with CNBC to increase the information available at Yahoo Finance.
We report the top search marketing news daily at the Search Engine Watch Blog. You'll find more news from around the Web below.
- Let's Talk About Links, ClickZ Experts
- Politics and Search Engine Position, ClickZ Experts
- Medio Takes Mobile Search Ad Network to U.K. and Europe, ClickZ News
- Firm Trades Public Relations for SEO, ClickZ News
- Top 9 Things Customers Don't Care About- From A Gen Y-er's Point Of View, Active Rain
- Anatomy & Optimization Of A Local Business Profile, Search Engine Land
- You Can't Compete With the Big Guys? You Sure About That?, Search Engine Guide
- Changing What You Want to Get Out of Social Media, Search Engine Guide
- 11 Steps to Successful SEO for Your Business, Search Engine Guide
- SES in the New Year; New York, London and Everywhere Else, Search Engine Strategies Blog
- Semantic and Personalized Search are Fool's Gold, Alt Search Engines
- Jimmy Wales Responds, Battelle's SearchBlog
- Why Are Companies Giving Up On SEO and Forcing SEM?, SEM Geek
- Tracking URLs that pass link juice, Dixon Jones
- Google Knol: Competitors Respond & Time To Limit The Aggregators?, Search Engine Land
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates available through Sept 12. Register today!