Links to the week's topics from search engine forums across the web.
What Top 5 Skills Would You Study to Become a Better SEO?
Search Engine Watch Forums
"What skills would you put on your Matrix 'must have' list for your career path or becoming a better SEM/SEO?"
Google Browser Sync For FireFox
"Google Browser Sync for Firefox is an extension that continuously synchronizes your browser settings; including bookmarks, history, persistent cookies, and saved passwords; across your computers."
Google Office Continued: Spreadsheet Application Launched
"Email, note taking, calendaring, word processing (Writely) and now spreadsheet. Google Office doesn't launch, it simply evolves, arrives, arises."
Google Goes to Congress to Block IAPs Charging for Faster Data
"Google Inc. co-founder Sergey Brin worked the halls of Congress Tuesday, asking members including Republican Sen. John McCain to block Internet access providers from charging Web sites more to deliver data faster to consumers."
Brin Says Google Compromised Principles
"Google Inc. co-founder Sergey Brin acknowledged Tuesday the dominant Internet company has compromised its principles by accommodating Chinese censorship demands. He said Google is wrestling to make the deal work before deciding whether to reverse course."
Separate Page for PPC?
"We don't have an ecommerce site because we actually have to talk to people to complete a transaction. It has been hard to know if a PPC made the trade or a call because of our rankings."
Does Citing Sources Help Rankings?
"Some sites cite their sources at the end of the article which is great for users because it lessens possibility of rumor / myth. I also remember hearing about something similar to PR [PageRank” but "TR" as in Trust Rank from Google. I don't know if this is real, but could citing your sources help your rankings on individual articles?"
Cache Problems Growing for Directories?
Search Engine Watch Forums
"Is Google's love affair with quality directories over since the Big Daddy update?"
Is Reciprocal Linking Dead
High Rankings Forum
"Reciprocal linking isn't dead, merely the poster child for stupid linking if it's all you do."
June 2006: Start of the Traditional Summer Slump
"I was researching through past threads relevant to Summer and it seemed there are numerous instances of webmasters complaining of a Summer Slump. While it doesn't affect publishers across the board, it appears that there is a Summer Slump phenomenon. Should you be prepared? Let's discuss what you might be doing today to protect your revenue tomorrow."
Search Engine Forums Spotlight courtesy Search Engine Guide.
NOTE: Article links often change. In case of a bad link, use the publication's search facility, which most have, and search for the headline.
From The SEW Blog...
- Hitwise: Google Nearing 60% Of Queries In US
- Search Engine Watch Discussion Forums Celebrate 2nd Birthday
- Daily SearchCast, June 8, 2006: Yahoo Answers Grows And Grows; Google Sued Over Ad It Refuses To Run; Google Urges Users To Rally For Net Neutrality & More!
- New Search Patents: June 8, 2006 - Stanford updates Pagerank Patent
- Yahoo Photos Upgraded, Beta Available
- New Link Building Guide
- Unique Content VS. Plagiarism In The Eyes Of An Algorithm
- The Top 100 Companies Searched Most On Hoover's Web site
- Alternative Ways Into Google & Yahoo
- Google Browser Sync For Firefox
- Lawsuit Over Killed Anti-China Ad On Google
- Google Calls On Users To Lobby For Net Neutrality
- US, UK Searchers & The World Cup
- IceRocket Sale To Think Is Off
Other Things We Read, Didn't Blog But You Might Want To Read...
- Google Researchers Propose TV Eavesdropping, InformationWeek
- Google Calling?, ClickZ (maybe they'll be calling you soon for advice on AdWords, too)
- Censored Searches on Google.cn, Google Blogoscoped
- Was It Google Or Was It Print?, MediaPost
- High-PR Frontpage, But Other Pages Unranked?, Google Blogoscoped
- Don't believe the MySpace hype, CNNMoney
- Google Earth Takes Down Fire Agency, All Points Blog
- BT: Google is our biggest threat, ZDNet UK
- Microsoft Plans To Extend Paid Search Platform To Games, IPTV, Other Media, MediaPost (Microsoft's said this before, but just in case you needed to hear it again. Oh, and it's not "paid search" they'll be extending but ads of various types).
- UPDATE: Where Google's wireless projects stand, San Jose Mercury News
- URL shortcuts for feed syndication specs, Niall Kennedy
- Fake Generic Viagra Site Using Google Name, InsideGoogle
- Google Account's Authorized Websites?, Google Blogoscoped
- Blogger Gets RSS, InsideGoogle
- Firefox Extension Adds Wikipedia to SERPs, Google Blogoscoped
- Microsoft teams up with the cool kids, Fortune
- Google Office: it's about file formats, not MS Office, Ars Technica
- Google Analytics Adds AdWords Analysis Report, Marketing Pilgrim
- The Captain's Back, WebGuerrilla (the mustache auction is back)
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Register today!