We've collected all the search marketing news from selected posts to the Search Engine Watch blog in the past week, along with recent search-related headlines from around the Web.
From the SEW blog:
- Search Engine Optimization 2008: Silence of the Lambs?
Mike Grehan says that SEO is stuck in a time warp and not keeping up with the search engines themselves. What do you think?
- SEW Experts: Google Universal Search Makes SEO More Powerful
Search marketers need to understand universal search before their competitors do.
- Hugo Guzman: Ode To Search Optimization
SEOBook guest blogger Hugo Guzman of Zeta Interactive wrote an inspiring ode to our industry today.
- Microsoft Expands its PPC adCenter Content Network
Launched with little fanfare late last year, Microsoft's adCenter Content Network initially only included Microsoft web properties. Now there are signs they're opening up the network to include some high-quality publishers.
- SEW Experts: PPC.edu: Learn AdWords, Yahoo Search, adCenter Online
SEO can take months or longer to get the results you're looking for. What's the alternative? PPC advertising.
- SEW Experts: Search Engine Marketing on the Efficient Frontier - Part 2
Mention the word "algorithm" and media buyers and online marketers flee for cover. But the list of SEM firms and technology providers that offer proprietary technology with sophisticated algorithms is growing.
- SEW Experts: How To Use Google Site Exclusion Tool to Increase ROI
All Google AdWords content campaigns have dead wood. Google Content Network sites that display your ads but deliver few clicks or conversions rob you of profits.
Linking Issues & Social Media
- Searchable Social Media and Adding to the Global Conversation
Rising Voices, a citizen media outreach initiative of the Global Voices, has just released the first of a series of planned guides, An Introduction to Citizen Media.
- SEW Experts: What's Your Link Building Marketing Mix? - Part 2
You've probably heard about Google's war on paid links. In a nutshell, Google banned paid links; and SEOs split in two camps over the move. What's a CMO to do?
- Facebook: Not Where To Search For All Lost Buddies
I don't believe that people-search is the key strength of Facebook, until critical mass is reached.
Analytics & ROI
- RSS Feed Subscription Bonanza Was Fool's Gold...Bummer!
Phony RSS feed subscription count turn out to be a FeedBlitz problem.
- Measure Blog Success without Spending a Fortune
20 outstanding blog analytics tools that won't break the bank.
Local & Mobile Search
- SEW Experts: Online Reviews: Tips, Tricks, and Secrets for Advertisers and Publishers
The importance of reviews and ratings – positive and negative – can't be overstated in local search. In terms of consumer motivation, it's all about informing others or rewarding a business for its excellent product/service.
- Google American Idol: Competition For AdWords Local Search Talent
Search marketing firms and in-house teams often have a hard time finding qualified PPC employees. Now Google may change all that by challenging students all over the world to compete with others in an AdWords marketing competition.
- iPhone Google Search News and Google iPhone Search News
Google announced new improvements to the "integrated Google experience" on iPhone. Call the GOOGiPhone upgrade what you like. It's still all about search.
Small Business/Big Brand SEM
- CMOs & VPs: Beware of IT Fiefdoms Ruling Marketing Roost
If your company has more than $10 million in revenue, consider whether it's prudent now to separate the IT and Internet marketing departments to avoid SEM pitfalls.
In-House & Outsourcing
- Selling CEOs on Search Engine Marketing
What's the biggest mistake any search engine marketer can make? Blowing a presentation to decision-makers.
- SEW Experts: Search Doesn't Matter
Is Google the Microsoft of the new millennium? Does search matter the way IT did four years ago?
- SEW Experts: Search Engine Conferences: Where CMOs Meet Social Media
Any SEM education most marketing executives got in business school is outdated, at best.
SEM Industry Issues
- Cheap Computing Will Change Everything
Author Nick Carr says that in the same way cheap electricity changed society 100 years ago, cheap computing is in the process of changing society today.
- SEMPO State of the Search Marketing Industry Survey Now Open
SEMPO is once again gathering feedback from search marketers for its annual State of the Search Marketing Industry Survey.
- SEW Experts: Top 5 Search Engine Marketing Trends 2008
Many of the trends in 2008 will mean more competition – and more opportunity – for search marketing agencies.
- Kickin' Off the SEM Crossfire with Frank the Tank
Over the course of SEM Crossfire, Frank Watson and Chris Boggs will take hot button issues and provide a cross section of opinions – ideally allowing readers to make more informed decisions.
- Yahoo Search Spotlight Awards Live in New York
Yahoo hosts the 3rd Annual Searchlight Award showcase on February 12 in New York City.
- SEW Experts: Search Engine Year-End Predictions: 2007 Scorecard
Last year, many industry watchers made search predictions for 2007. So how did some search gurus do?
- Google Generation A Myth: Here's Why
When people are looking for reliable information, they don't trust and use search engines quite as much as you think.
- Is Google Having Severe Growing Pains?
Seems our favorite nine-year old is having severe growing pains lately. And fellow relatives, we are all being impacted by the growth spurts lately.
More from the SEW Blog
- Google.org Reveals Five Focus Areas
Google's philanthropic arm, Google.org, today announced the five core initiatives that it plans to focus on over the next five to ten years.
- Wired Or Tired: West Coast SEMers Infighting Getting Attention
Personally, I am hoping it is just like the rapper wars – more for the publicity than actual animosity.
- Search Engine Watch Welcomes Great New Blogger
Marty Weintraub, president of AimClear, joins our team of search marketing and social media optimization experts.
We report the top search marketing news daily at the Search Engine Watch Blog. You'll find more news from around the Web below.
- Search and Reputation: Your Brand Standing Is Your Shelf Landing, ClickZ Experts
- Web Analytics: Insights From the Front Line, Part 1, ClickZ Experts
- Presidential Hopefuls Display Online Ad Maturity, ClickZ News
- Quattro Unfurls Self-Serve Mobile Ad Product, ClickZ News
- Free eBook from Google: AdWords Textbook, Clix Marketing
- How to Select a Paid Search Management Application, 10e20
- Is Conversion Rate Enough? It's A Good Start, Now Do More!, Occam's Razor
- 10 Things Yahoo! Search Must do to Become Relevant, SEO Book
- Hey Yahoo... Is Anybody Home? Are You There?, SEO-space
- Reader Poll: Is Facebook Losing its Luster?, Online Marketing Blog
- Thoughts on SEO Ethics, Ramblings About SEO
- Latest Interview: Incisive's Kevin Ryan, Ramblings About SEO
- Getting a Search Engine Optimization Education, SEO by the Sea
- Marketers fall Victim to our Own Disease: Spoon Sized Wisdom, Out of My Gord
- Get a promotion by lowering your traffic, Endless Plain
- Marketing During a Recession? Get The Wind at Your Back., Finding the Sweet Spot
- Will Vertical Search Crush the "Do Everything" Search Engine?, Raven SEO Tools
- Why PPC Advertisers Should Prefer Parked Domains, Apogee Weblog
- Continuing the privacy discussion at the European Parliament, Google Public Policy Blog
- Results from Google Fridge Giveaway, Dan Perry
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates extended through Sept 19. Register today!