We've collected all the search marketing news from selected posts to the Search Engine Watch blog in the past week, along with recent search-related headlines from around the Web.
From the SEW blog:
- SEW Experts: The Perils of Duplicate Content
Duplicate content can be a huge challenge for SEOs and their clients. But what qualifies as duplicate content?
- Is Yahoo Gaining Momentum?
While Google clearly retains the dominant market share among search engines, it appears that Yahoo showed some strength this summer with "impressive momentum."
- Competitor Analysis
Competitive intelligence is very often taken for granted in the search industry. Unfortunately, leaving the competition to fend for themselves leaves so much on the plate.
- Yahoo Adds Cars.com, Forbes.com and Ziff-Davis to Publishers' Network
Yahoo announced it has signed agreements with Cars.com, Forbes.com and the Ziff-Davis publications.
- Yahoo To Provide Paid Search For WebMD Properties
Yahoo announced it will provide the sponsored search results for the WebMD properties.
Linking Issues & Social Media
- 11 Guidelines to Social Media Success
This post will summarize a set of 11 guidelines for putting together a successful social media strategy.
- SEW Experts: Top Rankings, Secrets, and Lies - Part 2
When linkbuilding, as with any task, your time is worth money, and that time needs to be focused on effective strategies.
Analytics & ROI
- SEW Experts: The Real Impact of Blended Search
Since the major engines have introduced blended and universal search results, they have seen increased traffic to their video and image sites.
- Microsoft Claims Google Gets Too Much Credit
Brian McAndrews, senior vice president of Microsoft's Advertiser Publisher Solutions Group stated during a panel discussion at the Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco Thursday that Google is getting too much credit for conversions when they are the last place someone visits before making a purchase.
- Google Analytics Update
Google added new site search reporting and event tracking features to Google Analytics, and revealed the long-awaited update to the Urchin software.
Local & Mobile Search
- SEW Experts: Searching for a Better Local Ad Model
The epic battle fought by "online pure-plays" and "brick and mortar" companies moves to a new frontier: local search.
- Twitter and Search
The obvious notion is to integrate some type of people search functionality.
Vertical & Specialty Search
- YouTube video appears in Google News
A YouTube video from AlJazeeraEnglish appeared on the home page of Google News today.
- Globalization of Search: US Hispanic Marketing
CNN's Taylor Gandossy takes a look at what the word "Hispanic" (US-government issue, circa 1970s) means in cultural terms.
- Newsforce Launches Standalone SEO Tool for Press Releases
Newsforce today launched a new standalone service for SEOs and public relations pros looking for an automated way to optimize press releases for search engines.
Small Business/Big Brand SEM
- The Reservation Road Challenge
We're using the opening of an independent film as a case study for best practices in search marketing.
- Reservation Road: A Study in how NOT to launch a movie on the 'net
We found the studio to be lacking a few basic "musts" for setting their film up for success in the online market.
- SEW Experts: SME Brand Strategy: SEM Tactics, Tips, and Tricks, Part 1
They say you can't build your brand online with search marketing tactics. Here are some tips and tricks to prove them wrong.
In-House & Outsourcing
- SEW Experts: Defining Success Beyond Direct Response
If you're just now starting to think about how search and your organization (or internal search department) impact the 2008 planning process, you're a little late to the game.
SEM Industry Issues
- Search and the Law: Trademarks
Since search became monetized, trademarks have been a front-and-center issue for legal debate.
- Search and Politics: Made for Each Other?
Search engines are playing an increasingly important role in the education of voters in the U.S.
- Microsoft Rolls Out More Live Search Updates
Microsoft today made another round of updates to Live Search, this time focusing on local and mobile search.
More from the SEW Blog
- Yahoo CMO Resigns, Heading for Big Consumer Brand?
Yahoo chief marketing officer Cammie Dunaway will leave Yahoo on November 2 for a new opportunity, which may be a large consumer brand.
We report the top search marketing news daily at the Search Engine Watch Blog. You'll find more news from around the Web below.
- Online Marketing Crimes and Misdemeanors, ClickZ
- PPC Not Dead After All?, ClickZ
- Remove Spam from Google Blog Search, Google Operating System
- iyp vs. sem: which silo are you on?, Evans Ink
- The "Echo Boomers" Generation in Search Marketing, SEM Geek
- Search in an ecosystem of friends and predators, Think About Search
- Problems with Anchor Text as a Ranking Signal, Ramblings About SEO
- Measuring User Engagement, with Examples from Yahoo, SEO by the Sea
- The Worst Way To Ask For A Link, Search Engine Land
- User Generated Content Doesn't Work For Everyone, Read/Write Web
- Do You Want Your Ancillary Pages in Googles Index, Graywolf's SEO Blog
- How Will Advertising Influence Mobile Web Growth?, StayGoLinks
- Give the Google Content Network another try, John W. Ellis
Meet Your Favorite Search Engine Watch Contributors
Many of SEW's leading expert contributors will be at ClickZ Live, the new online and digital marketing event kicking off in New York (March 31-April 3). Hear from the likes of: Thom Craver, Josh Braaten, Lisa Barone, Simon Heseltine, Josh McCoy, Lisa Raehsler, Greg Jarboe, Dan Cristo, Joseph Kerschbaum, John Gagnon, Eric Enge and more!