We've collected all the search marketing news from selected posts to the Search Engine Watch blog in the past week, along with recent search-related headlines from around the Web.
From the SEW blog:
- SEW Experts: The Perils of Duplicate Content
Duplicate content can be a huge challenge for SEOs and their clients. But what qualifies as duplicate content?
- Is Yahoo Gaining Momentum?
While Google clearly retains the dominant market share among search engines, it appears that Yahoo showed some strength this summer with "impressive momentum."
- Competitor Analysis
Competitive intelligence is very often taken for granted in the search industry. Unfortunately, leaving the competition to fend for themselves leaves so much on the plate.
- Yahoo Adds Cars.com, Forbes.com and Ziff-Davis to Publishers' Network
Yahoo announced it has signed agreements with Cars.com, Forbes.com and the Ziff-Davis publications.
- Yahoo To Provide Paid Search For WebMD Properties
Yahoo announced it will provide the sponsored search results for the WebMD properties.
Linking Issues & Social Media
- 11 Guidelines to Social Media Success
This post will summarize a set of 11 guidelines for putting together a successful social media strategy.
- SEW Experts: Top Rankings, Secrets, and Lies - Part 2
When linkbuilding, as with any task, your time is worth money, and that time needs to be focused on effective strategies.
Analytics & ROI
- SEW Experts: The Real Impact of Blended Search
Since the major engines have introduced blended and universal search results, they have seen increased traffic to their video and image sites.
- Microsoft Claims Google Gets Too Much Credit
Brian McAndrews, senior vice president of Microsoft's Advertiser Publisher Solutions Group stated during a panel discussion at the Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco Thursday that Google is getting too much credit for conversions when they are the last place someone visits before making a purchase.
- Google Analytics Update
Google added new site search reporting and event tracking features to Google Analytics, and revealed the long-awaited update to the Urchin software.
Local & Mobile Search
- SEW Experts: Searching for a Better Local Ad Model
The epic battle fought by "online pure-plays" and "brick and mortar" companies moves to a new frontier: local search.
- Twitter and Search
The obvious notion is to integrate some type of people search functionality.
Vertical & Specialty Search
- YouTube video appears in Google News
A YouTube video from AlJazeeraEnglish appeared on the home page of Google News today.
- Globalization of Search: US Hispanic Marketing
CNN's Taylor Gandossy takes a look at what the word "Hispanic" (US-government issue, circa 1970s) means in cultural terms.
- Newsforce Launches Standalone SEO Tool for Press Releases
Newsforce today launched a new standalone service for SEOs and public relations pros looking for an automated way to optimize press releases for search engines.
Small Business/Big Brand SEM
- The Reservation Road Challenge
We're using the opening of an independent film as a case study for best practices in search marketing.
- Reservation Road: A Study in how NOT to launch a movie on the 'net
We found the studio to be lacking a few basic "musts" for setting their film up for success in the online market.
- SEW Experts: SME Brand Strategy: SEM Tactics, Tips, and Tricks, Part 1
They say you can't build your brand online with search marketing tactics. Here are some tips and tricks to prove them wrong.
In-House & Outsourcing
- SEW Experts: Defining Success Beyond Direct Response
If you're just now starting to think about how search and your organization (or internal search department) impact the 2008 planning process, you're a little late to the game.
SEM Industry Issues
- Search and the Law: Trademarks
Since search became monetized, trademarks have been a front-and-center issue for legal debate.
- Search and Politics: Made for Each Other?
Search engines are playing an increasingly important role in the education of voters in the U.S.
- Microsoft Rolls Out More Live Search Updates
Microsoft today made another round of updates to Live Search, this time focusing on local and mobile search.
More from the SEW Blog
- Yahoo CMO Resigns, Heading for Big Consumer Brand?
Yahoo chief marketing officer Cammie Dunaway will leave Yahoo on November 2 for a new opportunity, which may be a large consumer brand.
We report the top search marketing news daily at the Search Engine Watch Blog. You'll find more news from around the Web below.
- Online Marketing Crimes and Misdemeanors, ClickZ
- PPC Not Dead After All?, ClickZ
- Remove Spam from Google Blog Search, Google Operating System
- iyp vs. sem: which silo are you on?, Evans Ink
- The "Echo Boomers" Generation in Search Marketing, SEM Geek
- Search in an ecosystem of friends and predators, Think About Search
- Problems with Anchor Text as a Ranking Signal, Ramblings About SEO
- Measuring User Engagement, with Examples from Yahoo, SEO by the Sea
- The Worst Way To Ask For A Link, Search Engine Land
- User Generated Content Doesn't Work For Everyone, Read/Write Web
- Do You Want Your Ancillary Pages in Googles Index, Graywolf's SEO Blog
- How Will Advertising Influence Mobile Web Growth?, StayGoLinks
- Give the Google Content Network another try, John W. Ellis
This Year's Premier Digital Marketing Event is #CZLSF
ClickZ Live San Francisco (Aug 11-14) will bring together the industry's leading online marketing practitioners to deliver 4 days of educational sessions and training workshops. From Data-Driven Marketing to Social, Mobile, Display, Search and Email, the comprehensive agenda will help you maximize your marketing efforts and ROI. Register today!