We've collected all the search marketing news from selected posts to the Search Engine Watch blog in the past week, along with recent search-related headlines from around the Web.
From the SEW blog:
- The End of SEO, or a New Beginning?
At SES Toronto this week, Google's Universal Search, personalization, and the death of SEO were among the hot topics discussed.
- Identifying a Google Penalty
Often when a site loses its search rankings suddenly, a webmaster may not know the cause.
- SEW Experts: Web Site Architecture Structured for Success
Mark Jackson reviews the benefits of creating a search engine friendly information architecture prior to Web site construction.
- Google Adds Content Network Transparency
Since its Content Network launched, advertisers have been asking Google for a way to get a better idea of where their ads appear, and get more control over the display of their ads on specific sites.
- Younger Folks Like Ads More
It turns out that 18-34 year olds are not as opposed to being sold to as we all thought.
- Yahoo Distributing Click Fraud Settlement Funds
Figuring better to control the building outcry about click fraud, the companies got to set a ceiling and disperse a small portion of the actual amounts customers lost through click fraud.
- Google Quality Scoring: Changes And Insights
While we would all like to have a light turned on inside the 'black box' there has been some insight given recently if you have been watching carefully.
Linking Issues & Social Media
- SEW Experts: Creating Link Bait With Hot Content and Promotions
Justilien Gaspard tells you how to create hot, compelling content and then spread the word with promotions that create buzz, gain links, and bring in new customers.
- Google Webmaster Tools Adds Paid Links Reporting
Google has been warring against paid links that pass PageRank, such as those that don't use the nofollow attribute or some form of redirect.
Analytics & ROI
- Fresh Update to Google Analytics
The update focuses on adding a few select things that they heard as feedback from their previous upgrade in May.
- SEW Experts: Priming Your Quality Score to Boost Campaign Results
Eric Enge shows you how to use the new paid search Quality Scores to your advantage to provide great campaign results.
- Atlas Institute: Don't Just Count the Last Click
A study from aQuantive's Atlas Institute looks into the effect of overlap of ads, either across publishers or across multiple ad placements.
Mobile & Local Search
- Cable TV and Local Search
Cable television providers are testing the waters of on-demand programming. The next step could be to integrate small business video advertising to on-demand menus.
Vertical & Specialty Search
- Google Video Expands Focus on Search
Google has revamped its idea of what Google Video should be: a Web-wide video search engine.
- EveryZing – Beyond Podcasting
The multimedia search and advertising platform is extending their market offering beyond podcasts.
- Flickr Adding 7 Languages To System Today
The photo-sharing community hopes "to help the global Flickr community more easily explore, find, manage and share photos."
- Google's Ajax Feed API Interview with Mark Lucovsky
The very cool thing about this API is that it enables you to easily access RSS and Atom feeds, and create mashups of the feeds.
Small Business/Big Brand SEM
- SEW Experts: The Business Case for Expanding B2B SEM
Jessica Bowman reviews the Enquiro 2007 Business to Business Survey. If you’re looking to expand your B2B SEM efforts, you’ll find the key take-aways and all the nitty gritty in between.
- SEW Experts: Redesigning Your Small Business Web Site
Carrie Hill offers a checklist to help small businesses considering a site redesign know why, when and how to do it.
In-House & Outsourcing
- SEW Experts: When the Honeymoon Ends, In-house
Jessica Bowman explains how an in-house SEO startup has a life similar to marriage. There’s the honeymoon phase, and then it ends.
- In-House SEO in Large Organizations
AOL's Melanie Mitchell explains why large organizations that outsource their SEO could be making a mistake.
- SEW Experts: Five Tips for Hiring a Paid Search Agency
Tony Wright gives his list of the five most important questions to ask vendors when looking for someone to manage your PPC campaigns.
SEM Industry Issues
- Kevin Ryan on the Future of Search Engine Strategies
Kevin spoke with Rand Fishkin at SES Toronto, where he offered some insight into the direction SES may be heading, and shared with Rand Incisive's plan to create an advisory board for the SES conferences.
- IDC Predicts Beginning of End for Search Dominance
According to a new report from research analysts at IDC, search is about to lose its dominance of the online ad market, to be overtaken by video and rich media ads by 2011.
- Google Defends Data-Retention Practices
In response to an E.U. Article 29 Working Party investigation, Google has changed its data retention policies again.
- Google Privacy Practices Under Attack
Privacy International, a London-based privacy watchdog group, has issued a report citing Google's privacy practices as the worst among large online destinations.
More from the SEW Blog
- Happy 10th Birthday Search Engine Watch
This week marks the 10th birthday of Search Engine Watch.
- Vanessa Fox Leaving Google
The public face of Google's Webmaster Central is leaving Google to work at real estate vertical search start-up Zillow.
- John Marshall Leaving Clicktracks
John Marshall, founder and CEO of Clicktracks is leaving the company.
- Google Partners With Chinese Portal Sina
The Chinese Internet portal will begin showing Google search results and AdWords ads on its pages.
- Google To Offer Digitalized Text Books For Big Ten Schools
Google has partnered with the universities of the Big Ten to offer digitalized versions of text books.
We report the top search marketing news daily at the Search Engine Watch Blog. You'll find more news from around the Web below.
- SES Toronto 2007: Built By People, for People and Robots, Traffick
- The Success Is In The Web Analytics, Bruce Clay Blog
- Exclusive: Launch of Powerlabs, Plus More Powerset Screenshots, Read/Write Web
- Best Domain Name Finder Ever, SEO Scoop
- How Google Rejects Annoying Advertisements and Pages, SEO by the Sea
- Should a Search Engine Sell Business Intelligence Gathered from Searchers’ Queries?, SEO by the Sea
- The Day after Tomorrow, Alt Search Engines
- Google and Privacy, Dave Naylor
- The state of our video ID tools, Google Blog
- GOOG Doubling its PR Crew--PR and Press Needn't Apply, Silicon Valley Watcher
- OpenSearch Plugin Ensures Your Google Results Are Not Personalized, Search Engine Land
- Can Flash Animation and SEO Live Together in Harmony?, SearchRank
- Search Google Without Personalization Even While Logged In, SEOmoz
- Jingle to Assert Patent Against Competitors, Local Mobile Search
- Small is the New Big, Yahoo Publisher Network Blog
- How Google Handles Videos on Web Search & From 3rd Party Sources, Search Engine Land
Introducing... ClickZ Live!
SES Conference & Expo has merged with ClickZ to bring you ClickZ Live! The new global conference series takes on the identity of the industry's premier digital marketing publication, ClickZ.com, and kicks off March 31-April 3 in New York City. Join the industry's leading tech-advertisers in the advertising capital of the world! Find out more ››
*Super Saver Rates expire Jan 24.